Fresh install, cannot login admin/admin - error is "Username or Password empty"

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fury, Jul 15, 2013.

1. fury

fury New Member

I am setting up a server at home to prepare for colocating it and potentially harboring a few of my other sites and a friend's sites temporarily while he rebuilds his server. That in mind, I figured something like ISPConfig might help manage the different sites.

Ubuntu server 13.04 amd64
    Fresh install of ISPConfig 3.x (from ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz)
    nginx 1.2.6
    MariaDB 10.0.3
    PHP 5.5.0

Using the guide here: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-13.04-nginx-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3

I installed ISPConfig using the correct MySQL username and password (I can log in via mysql from the console with those credentials), and verified the password is md5('admin') in dbispconfig sys_user.

I get the login form, but the error returned to me when I try the default login admin/admin is Username or Password empty

It would appear that the HTML form for the login is not functioning properly - whatever javascript is supposed to translate form elements from dummy_* is not working, or perhaps dummy_login.html is not working. (dummy_login.html appears to be blank when I try to visit it or view source)

I have tried in Firefox version 22 million and Chrome version 28 gazillion. (I hate version numbers)

Any ideas?

2. tanius

tanius New Member

Not for your case specifically, but for all others with this error message "Username or Password empty":

This can happen if ISPConfig cannot access its database at the moment. The simplest case for that to happen is (and was in my case) that the MySQL server is not running, or not responding. So try restarting it ("service mysql restart" on Ubuntu) and check if you can log in as MySQL root user ("mysql -u root -p" in Ubuntu).

danlogy likes this.
  3. reason8

reason8 Member

Hello and good morning.

I am having the same issue.

The mysql database is running and I can login to mysql as root. PHPMYADMIN is accessible also.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to check if you are able to login with the user "ispconfig" and the exact hostname and password that you find in the file /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/config.inc.php

5. reason8

reason8 Member

Login to what? mysql, phpmyadmin or the ispconfig interface?

I see the db user and the password looks hashed.

6. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try to login with the data in mysql (you can use phpmyadmin)

7. reason8

reason8 Member

For which account? The ISPConfig or Root account? I do not know the ISPConfig password as I did not set it up. ISPConfig did.
    And my root credentials do not allow me to login to the ISPConfig control panel.

The reason I got locked out is do do the DB Server thread we are corresponding in Florian.
    Located Here: https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...db-to-another-server.72671/page-2#post-345806
    I got partial information on how to set it up but with sporadic follow up. So when I resynced the databases, hoping it would sync to the DB Server, I got locked out of the ISPConfig interface.

8. till

The account details from the config.inc.php file and this file contaisn the details of the ispconfig mysql user, see my post #4.

9. reason8

reason8 Member

Under the //Database section?
    If so, it shows:

//** Database
    $conf['db_type'] = 'mysql';
    $conf['db_host'] = 'localhost';
    $conf['db_database'] = 'dbispconfig';
    $conf['db_user'] = 'ispconfig';
    $conf['db_password'] = 'ITS HASHED';

If I am supposed to use this password, how do I login? Use ISPCONFIG as the username and just enter the hash password?

10. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

That password isn't hashed, that is plaintext. It's a random value by default, so it looks similar to a hash. Just paste it in.

11. reason8

reason8 Member

Thanks. I got in with the username ispconfig and the password in config.inc.php.
    So what do I do know? I can not login to ISPConfig interface with that information.
    Do I change the password somewhere?
    Is there a setting in there pointing to an incorrect DB-Server that I may have erroneously setup?

12. reason8

reason8 Member

I got in. I had to put a 0 in the DB-Server field for the erroneous DB-Server and put a 1 in the Web Server field for the DB-Server.

Apparently it was trying to access the DB-Server for ISPConfig login.

Thanks a bunch man. You have been a GREAT help.

With that in mind, any idea how to correctly setup a separate and dedicated DB-Server for ISPConfig? The instructions I followed were flawed, wrong or just incorrect.

13. till

14. reason8

reason8 Member