SSL for a website's subdomain?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Skyflash, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Skyflash

Skyflash New Member

Hi everyone

i need to protect a subdomain of the site www.smartchange.it with a ssl cert (better will be if i can use a wildcard cert)

In ISPConfig i've tried create a certifciate with ssl domain "*.smartchange.it" but no CSR is created. The certificate will be created only if i set as ssl domain "smartchange.it"

What i've to do in ISPConfig to do this?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which ispconfig version do you use?

3. Skyflash

Skyflash New Member

The latest: 3.0.5.3

4. Skyflash

Skyflash New Member

till: any idea?

5. till

There is a problem with wildcard ssl certs in that version (the problem is the * in the ssl cert path name), it is fixed in the 3.0.5.4 beta. Normally you should not install beta versions, but in my opinion, this beta is stable enough so that you could install it in case that you cantw ait for the release.

http://www.ispconfig.org/blog/1/entry-124-ispconfig-3054-beta-released/

the only real issue is in the mail aliasdomain function in /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf, change the line:

additional_conditions = and type != 'aliasdomain' and active = 'y' and server_id = 1

to

additional_conditions = and active = 'y' and server_id = 1

and restart postfix.

6. Skyflash

Skyflash New Member

I think i can wait. When the release is scheduled?

7. till

It wil be released in the next few weeks.

8. Skyflash

Skyflash New Member

Ok, no hurry. I can wait :)

Little last question (ssl for dummies ^_^ ): i'll buy a ssl cert for my.smartchange.it, that is a subdomain of www.smartchange.it (inside the /my/ folder). What steps i must follow for create the rigth CRS and apply the certificate?

Is there a possibility to make it work also with www.smartchange.it/my/ ?

Thank you ;)

9. till

apache does not support sl certs for subfolders, a ssl cert van only be applied to a vhost, which is represented by a website in ispconfig. So I highly recommend to create a new website for my.smartchange.it instead of putting it in a subfolder of another site?

10. yaw

yaw New Member

I just tried creating a ssl cert with *, and it's not working in 3.0.5.4 RC2. Any ideas?

11. yaw

yaw New Member

Looks like I got it. I had to manually delete the existing certificates from the SSL directory before it would create the wildcard certificates.