Rebuilding logs?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by softstein, Apr 26, 2014.

1. softstein

softstein New Member

Hello! I am facing the situation at a clients server that he lost all logfiles for any account on his server. The folder /var/www/domain.tld/log is practically empty.
    So I restored the logs for an account from an old backup. But even after restarting apache the log is not written further.

Am I missing something here?
    Or is there any option other to regenerate the files in log/ ?

Thank you for any hint in advance,
    Softstein

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Those files are only symlinks.
    The real log files reside in /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/domain.tld

3. softstein

softstein New Member

Hello Marius, thanks for your reply!

Yes, in fact they are there and up and running. The thing is that the cron_daily.sh should generate these symlinks (such as yesterday-access.log) in /var/www/clients/clientX/webXX/log/... .
    But it does not.

So I tried to run the daily cronjob by hand several times, but without success. Studying the PHP code in cron_daily.php turns out that these symlinks should be generated, but nothing.

Actually I am running ISPCOnig3 version 3.0.5.4. I am almost tempted to run the resync tool, but as this tool isn't documented anywhere in detail I am not too sure if this would be a good idea.

Any ideas on this topic are appreciated.
    Thank you
    softstein

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

The resync tool should not do any harm. It just simulates a change in each website so the vhost file etc. is written again.