Shell and ISPCOFIG Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Damien, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Damien

Damien New Member

Hi, wer have a few peopel who like doing things via command lines rather than a GUI.

If we install ISPCOFIG and allow shell access will they be able to create databases, email and sub domains ect ect via command line.

Also will they be able to use a3rd aprty celeint such a sputty

many thanks

damien

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes.

yes. But be aware that the SSH accounts are not chrooted. Chroot SSH will be introduced in the next ISPConfig release, available in approx. 1 week.

3. Damien

Damien New Member

many thanks

is there any tips or trick on how to move accounts over we not currently using any control panel and everything thing is done via shell

4. Damien

Damien New Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You would have to recreate the web sites and users in ISPConfig. There's no way of importing existing items into ISPConfig.

6. bersi

bersi New Member

Chrooted ssh

Hi,
    i am running isp config 2.2.5 and just found out that all users with shell access are able to read the webs of other users. They cant write, but thats not much help. Is this the chrooted ssh you talked above here which solves this?
    Or is that a general misconfiguration?

Thorsten

7. falko

Yes, that's right. If you don't use chrooted SSH, granting shell access to your users is a security risk!

8. bersi

bersi New Member

so when using 2.2.5 howto setup

Thanks Falko,
    I thought so (testing the environmet :D ).
    But how do i set up the chrooted ssh? Does ispconfig do that for mee or do i have to alter the linux setup. I originally used the perfect setup (Mandrake 2006)?
    th

9. falko

You have to do it yourself: http://www.howtoforge.com/chrooted_ssh_howto_debian

10. VolkerSt

VolkerSt New Member

Hi Falko,

i used your Tut, but i dont understand, how this works with ISPCOnfig. Does ISPC automatically chroot the User, if i grant him ShellAccess?

Regards
    Volker

11. till

Yes. ISPConfig chroots all usera ccounts that where newly created or updated after you enabled chrooting in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php

12. VolkerSt

VolkerSt New Member

Found it. Thank you!

13. hayashi

hayashi New Member

Hi,

I used the debian tutorial and have set the setting in config.inc.php, but now everytime i try to ssh in remotely it just kicks me out after i submit my password. :confused:

if i set the setting back to 0 - i can then ssh in but no chroot.

hayashi

14. till

The chroot only works for users that you created or updated (e.g. change the disk quota and hit save) after you enabled the chrooting feature in the config.inc.php file. Otherwise the chroot directory does not contain a valid shell and other files that are nescessary for a SSH session.