How to install a CentOS 7 minimal server troubles

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Sixer, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Sixer

Sixer New Member

Hi there,

i'm new to CentOS but want to give it a try i'm trying to setup a basic server as discribed in the 'How to install a CentOS 7 minimal server'

al goes fine till i try to logon

i can login with the administrator account i created
    but when i try to sudo and enter the root password it won't let me in
    when i try with normal admin password i get the message that the user is not on the sudoer list.

so i reinstalled and put the marker at make this account an administator, then i can do Sudo..

my question is is the instruction faulty by not mentioning to put the marker at make the user an admin ,, or am i doing something wrong ??

i don't want to asume the instructions are faulty and then have a huge hole in my security by making the user an admin.

greeting Sixer

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Try:

su

and not

sudo

to become root user. The sudo concept is normally used on Ubuntu only, other distributions have a root user and you use to to change from a unpriviliged user to root and not sudo. The concept to use su and not sudo is more secure as you can have a separate password for root instead of delegating the root account to a non root user with sudo that does not require an additional authentication.

3. Sixer

Sixer New Member

Right , my mistake and yes i've been using ubuntu but want to try CentOS for a change.

Thanks for the info ,D