3.0.5.2 mailman problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by compugraphix, Mar 28, 2013.

1. compugraphix

compugraphix Member

Server: (Debian Squeeze/Sid) ISPConfig 3.0.5.2

After upgrade from 3.0.5.1 i got the following error

warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

and i can't sent mail to the default mailman mailinglist
    but not to the other lists i created

did try postmap /etc/aliases
    gives errors:

postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 2: record is in "key: value" format; is this an alias file?
    postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 3: record is in "key: value" format; is this an alias file?
    postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 4: record is in "key: value" format; is this an alias file?
    postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 5: record is in "key: value" format; is this an alias file?
    postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 6: record is in "key: value" format; is this an alias file?
    postmap: warning: /etc/aliases, line 7: record is in "key: value" format; is this an alias file?
    etc..

genaliases

/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman is correct

did a restart of mailman and all postfix and courier imap and pop servers

if i try to sent email i get it back with following error:

Serverfout: 550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table

any suggestions?

Also see the following errors:
    imapd: Error reading ACLs for : Invalid argument
    table "mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_client.cf": empty query string -- ignored

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. compugraphix

compugraphix Member

Strange got half my lists working again including the default mailman account and all pre 3.0.5 lists.

So newly created lists don't work (sending a mail to it) but you can add yourself to the list and then all verification mails work.

got still some errors in the log files:

table "mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_client.cf": empty query string -- ignored
    database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

think they are all related to the problem

Hope you got some tips

3. Davide P.

Davide P. New Member

Hello. Unfortunately, after upgrading to ISPConfig 3.5.2 , I find the same problem.
    (database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman)

Have a good one.

Davide

4. artur_gib

artur_gib New Member

Hi guys

I have the same problem. Hopefully somebody will come up with tips.

Cheers

Artur

5. compugraphix

compugraphix Member

hmm was looking at tail -f /var/log/mail.log

and got this in the logs
    postfix/smtpd[20785]: warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
    postfix/smtpd[20785]: warning: ::1: address not listed for hostname localhost
    postfix/smtpd[20785]: connect from unknown[::1]
    postfix/smtpd[20785]: lost connection after CONNECT from unknown[::1]
    postfix/smtpd[20785]: disconnect from unknown[::1]

and for pop3d and imapd all seems ok

pop3d: Connection, ip=[::1]
    pop3d: Disconnected, ip=[::1]
    imapd: Connection, ip=[::1]
    imapd: Disconnected, ip=[::1], time=0

6. compugraphix

compugraphix Member

Till any sugestions?

Or do you need more info?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Does it work after you run manually:

postmap /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

8. compugraphix

compugraphix Member

if i run postmap /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman nothing seems to happen.

Following errors are left:

Mail-Warn-Log * this was fixed by your suggestion
    postfix/cleanup[9108]: warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

postfix/smtpd[9112]: warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

Mail-Error - Log * this still excists

if i sent a mail to a new mailinglist i get this in the log:

postfix/smtpd[9149]: warning: ::1: address not listed for hostname localhost
    postfix/smtpd[9149]: connect from unknown[::1]
    postfix/smtpd[9149]: lost connection after CONNECT from unknown[::1]
    postfix/smtpd[9149]: disconnect from unknown[::1]
    pop3d: Connection, ip=[::1]
    pop3d: Disconnected, ip=[::1]
    imapd: Connection, ip=[::1]
    imapd: Disconnected, ip=[::1], time=0

and the new mailinglist isn't getting the mail i sent to distribute via the list
    but this is only for newly created lists. old lists created before the 3.0.5.2 update work.

hope this gives you more info to solve this.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. compugraphix

compugraphix Member

Mail-Warn-Log * this was fixed by your suggestion
    postfix/cleanup[9108]: warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

postfix/smtpd[9112]: warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

Mail-Error - Log * this still excists

This i can fix now!
    vi /var/log/mail.log
    search for ACLs (esc / ACLs in vi)
    this gives you the mailadres with the problem

imapd: LOGIN, [email protected], ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], port=[53028], protocol=IMAP
    imapd: LOGOUT, [email protected], ip=[::ffff:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=512, sent=3009, time=4

go to /var/vmail/xxxxxx.xxx/xxx (where xxxxxx.xxx is domain and /xxx is emailuser

vi courierimapsubscribed

delete top empty line (this gives the error)
    in vi you do dd for deleting a line.

same goes for the file subscriptions in the same dir

hope this helps!

The mailinglist problem i soveld also

this was multiple things stacked together...

the most problems dissapeared after i ran:

one new mailinglist allready had an email alias with the same name so that caused some of the problems too.

Eventually all is running error free again :).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  10. progint

progint New Member

Yes, this is an ispconfig error in 3.0.5.2 version. I spent a lot of time catching this.
    When you use ispconfig to create or delete a mailing list a virtual-mailman.db file is not updated at all. That's why you can see that postfix error and that's why postfix can't see any changes you just made.

You can run:

and everything starts to work good again. I think this is an ispconfig issue that needs to be fixed.

11. pier56

pier56 Member

Hello,

I have the same problem.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  12. BitSprocket

BitSprocket New Member

postmap: fatal:...

Trying to figure this out - adding a mailing list using the control panel in ispconfig does not seem to do anything and neither does deleting them.

Trying:

Code:

yeilds:
    postmap: fatal: open /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman: No such file or directory.

Of note: I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and mail does work both inbound and outbound but the mail.log and mail.err are full of warnings and errors about virtual-mailman being unavailable.

It would seem that I've somehow missed a step when it comes to getting the virtual mailman to work properly.

Where should I look?

I do get the emails (although delayed) indicating the lists have been created but I am unable to subscribe to them and no further emails are generated. Testing shows that when I try subscribing to the list the user does not appear in the admin section either.

P.S. Thanks everyone for such a great product and for your support.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  13. bax

bax Member

Code:
    warning: database /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman.db is older than source file /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
    This error is still there in the latest 3.0.5.4rc2

14. till

Thats just a warning and not an error. It does not cause any problems.

15. beyerservice

beyerservice Member HowtoForge Supporter

well this thing
    Code:
    solved for me my problems with:
    Code:
    550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table;

16. osyrixx

osyrixx New Member

So this means that everytime I like to add a maillist I have to manually run "postmap /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman"?
    And every time a maillist is deleted I have to manually delete those maillist entries from various file within "/var/lib/mailman/data/*?
    Come on, there must be a better solution, why doesn`t do ispconfig that for me?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  17. till

No. Postmap is run automatically by ispconfig after a new mailinglist has been added.

ispconfig uses the command provided by mailman to delete the mailinglist.

18. sgsterling

sgsterling New Member

Well-- you say it does it, but my installation of ISPConfig3, installed with the latest version just two weeks ago (installed Jan 30, 2015) DOES NOT. After creating a new mail list, I must login to the host server and do a
    >postmap /var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
    >postfix reload
    Then the maillist works. Otherwise, we receive "unknown recipient" message from any of the standard Mailman email addresses.

19. Sven Nielsen

Sven Nielsen New Member

Installed current ISPConfig3 a few days ago. I also have the problem that I manually need to execute:
    to fix virtual user unknown issues..
    Where is the right place to add this command in the ispconfig scripts to work around this?