ISPConfig suddenly stopped working with error "Internal Server Error"

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by jetiii, Mar 2, 2015.

1. jetiii

jetiii New Member

I installed ISPConfig on Ubuntu 14.04 server using the "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 14.04 (Apache2, PHP, MySQL, PureFTPD, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)" instructions on HowToForge. I modified the static IP to come from wlan0 as I am in a motorhome. ISP Config came up fine and everything was working. I needed to install isp aliasing as this "mobile" server needs to emulate numerous websites including Wordpress MU websites. I have also purchased your manual for ISPConfig and saw that it didn't allow wlan0:# ip addresses so as recommended, I followed the procedure as you described in your documentation by editing /etc/network/interfaces, substituting eth0:# for wlan0:#. When I restarted networking according to your instructions noting happened (ifconfig did not show new addresses) but I still had access to ISPConfig. After I rebooted the server, I could no longer get access to ISPConfig as it reported the "Internal Server Error".

When I go to the apache2 error.log, it reports the following:
    suexec policy violation: see suexec log for more details
    [fcgid:warn] [pid 4048] (104)Connection reset by peer: [client 192.168.1.6:54767] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server
    [core:error] [pid 4048] [client 192.168.1.6:54767] End of script output before headers: index.php
    The only other thing I did in addition to the networking as stated above, was an apt-get update.
    I bought the manual and support. Your help is appreciated. Jesse

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post the error from suexec.log. The file is in /var/log/apache2/ folder.

May you please posint me to the chapter of the ISPConfig manual that instrcts you to replace eth0 with wlan0. There is no such change required for wordpress MU.

3. jetiii

jetiii New Member

There was no place in the manual you talked about wlan0, nor do I believe I said that. I substituted, from your documentation, eth0 with wlan0, but everything else was the same. This works for all of the ip's I setup. ie: wlan0:0 -> 192.168.1.151, wlan0:1 -> 192.168.1.152, etc. 192.168.1.150 being the primary domain. I can ping and get the default apache2 website for all ips. I have 3 Wordpress MU sites with sub-domains, hence the different ips. This would more closely simulate our actual websites. I did revert back to the single, primary website to test it, and this did not fix the problem. I haven’t used anything in ISPConfig before or after the error. I am thinking it may of happened when I did the apt-get update. Also, I can access the sites using ftp/tls. It appears that the only thing I can't get to is ISPConfig. Again, all worked fine with wlan0 ->192.168.1.150 and ISPConfig until now.

Thanks for the quick reply, Jesse

4. till

Please post the error message(s) from suexec.log.

5. jetiii

jetiii New Member

Can you tell me what folder it is located in on the default Ubuntu 14.04 install. I can't locate it.

6. till

The suexec.log should be in /var/log/apache2/ folder.

7. jetiii

jetiii New Member

It's not there. I have tried to use find, but no luck. It is also not in /var/log.

8. jetiii

jetiii New Member

Found it in /var/log/apche2

9. jetiii

jetiii New Member

Here is the errors from suexec.log
    uid: (5003/ispconfig) gid: (5004/ispconfg) cmd: phpfcgi-starter
    target uid/gid (5003/5004) mismatch with directory (65534/65534)

10. jetiii

jetiii New Member

After finally finding suexec.log it appears to be a security issue on the file or folder when trying to use php-fcgi-starter. Hope this helps, Jesse

11. till

OK. seems a sif the directory owner of the directory that contains the starter scripts has been changed. Please run:

chown -R ispconfig:ispconfig /var/www/php-fcgi-scripts/ispconfig

Then restart apache and try to access ISPConfig again.

12. jetiii

jetiii New Member

That fixed the problem. Thank you. Last question is do you have any idea why it happened? Thanks, Jesse

13. jetiii

jetiii New Member

I can add this as a new post but... All of my wlan0:# ips work. I can even use ISPConfig on any of them. However, they don't show up in system/ip addresses. Is this a problem or can I just add them manually as I setup the websites?

14. till

No, not really. I did not had that case yet and I use debian and Ubuntu for many years. Maybe a mistyped command or some process was interrupted.

IP addresses get not added automatically there as you could also use just * for all sites. If you want to use the IP addresses (e.g. as you require them for ssl without sni), then add them there. Just be aware that you cant Mix * and IP address in the website settings, so either use * or use the Ip for all sites that point to the IP address in DNS, but dont mix that. If you would mix it, then apache would redirect all traffic to the site that has the IP assigned, regardless of the domain name, as an IP is a stronger match then the wildcard *.

15. jetiii

jetiii New Member

Thanks