Apache fails - refuses reboot

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by sjau, Jul 2, 2006.

1. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Hiya

I noticed now 3 times that apache2 suddenly fails.
    When I try to restart it I just get this error message:

root@t390:~# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
    Forcing reload of web server: Apache2 ... no pidfile found! not running?(98)Addr
    ess already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443
    no listening sockets available, shutting down
    Unable to open logs
    root@t390:~#

I don't exactely know what to do. What I did so far is rebooting the whole server. This then makes the server work again just fine.

Has anyone encountered this before?

2. platd

platd New Member

Do you have some sort of software running that monitors your apache service and restarts it if it thinks it is down.
    I had one running my self that gave them exact symptoms but i cant remember it's name at the moment . So i ditched it :) it kept getting the wrong end of the stick and restarting apache when it was fine and making a pigs ear of it :)

3. vlsimpson

vlsimpson New Member

Something else is listening on port 80 or whatever port you have apache configured for. nmap localhost will show you what's on the port in question;
    ps ax to get the pid and kill -9 pid. Restart apache. Maybe :)

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Anything in the Apache error log?

Do the log files that Apache tries to log to exist?

5. sjau

Next time it happens I will check :)
    Thx for the suggestions so far.

6. sjau

so, same situation:

@ Falko
    Error log is empty

7. platd

platd New Member

do a ps aux |grep httpd next time or killall httpd etc or what ever you have to do to kill it then try a clean startup.
    Of course you still need need to find why it's going **** in the first place.
    There must be some thing in one of the logs. maybe turn on apache debug logging features what ever they maybe a quick squint through the docs should reveal that

8. sjau

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Can you check /etc/logrotate.d/apache if it restarts or just reloads Apache?
    I had problems when Apache was just reloaded. A few times it didn't come up again so I modified the script so that it restarts Apache now which is working fine. :)