samba and suse 10.1

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by dimas, Jul 15, 2006.

1. dimas

dimas Member

I wonder if you could help me to find the information on how to properly configure samba on suse 10.1

the pc with linux is a 'server-only' pc - everything is made according to the 'perfect setup', and everything works fine

the first net adapter is connected to a 100-mbit channel from the ISP and is behind NAT - there are 10 ip addresses like 192.168.5.xxx (one main ip and nine aliases) and netmask 255.255.248.0. there is a second net card that I allocated one ip 172.16.0.40 with netmask 255.240.0.0. this second adapter is plugged into a switch. there are two more pcs (windows pcs) plugged into the same switch - they have ips 172.16.0.10 and 172.16.0.20.

all 172.16.0.xxx addresses are pinged successfully from any pc - so there is a working connection

what I basically need is to be able to share a folder on the linux pc and also to be able to read and write to any of the shared folders on the windows pcs.

all pcs are part of the same workgroup, there is no DHCP or WINS.

BUT no matter how I configure samba - the network neigborhood of both windows pcs show only the shares on the windows pcs, and the linux pc is just not there.

I realize my question is rather abstract - so I just ask where to read more about the configuration in my situation. thank you!

2. platd

platd New Member

move your smb.conf out of the way then setup your own along the lines of

[global]
    encrypt passwords=yes
    workgroup=workgroup
    netbios name = FREEBSD
    comment = WELCOME BLUELIGHT SERVER

[homes]
    read only = No

[sharename]
    path = /path/to/share
    read only = No

[sharename2]
    comment = Drivers Apps Docs etc
    path = /path/to/share2
    readonly=no

It all explains it self really then just add users with smbpasswd -a username
    Thats about it.

3. dimas

dimas Member

thank you, it was stupid of me really :rolleyes:
    everything started to work when I added a user and edited the 'hosts' files