ISPConfig 3 - Postfix as a backup MX

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by s2892, Aug 22, 2015.

1. s2892

s2892 New Member

My Aim is to achieved configuration as CPanel provide as a MX backup server option.

the background:
    • Domain -> domain.com
    • Main MX (priority 5) -> On-Promise Exchange server
    • Secoundary/ Backup MX (priority 50) -> VPS (ISPConfig, postfix, etc) - server is hosting www for the domain.com

the goal:
    All emails fro domain.com will be relayed to On-Promise Exchange server, even sent from the ISPConfig Config.
    The ISP server hosted the website with the form -> form sends the message to the [email protected] using local (ISPConfig server) smtp account [email protected]

the problem:
    when i try to send email from [email protected] (IPSConfig server) to [email protected] (on-promise server) i have an message:
    ---
    Message not sent. Server replied: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
    550 5.1.1 <--->: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
    ---

setup:
    Relay
    Email Routing -> domain.com -> smtp, active, No MX lookup, exchange@
    Relay recipients -> domain.com (whole domain)

to send from the server web form via smtp:
    Email Domain -> domain.com (to create [email protected] account)
    email Mailbox -> [email protected] (mailbox witch I use to send emails)

---
    if I set up catch all the system works but forward all emails as a catch all email address.
    if i create local mailbox [email protected] its work as well.

I need be able do forwarding emails independently - not based on the local mailboxes .

How to do it ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Seems as if you added domain.com as email domain in ispconfig. remove the email domain, when a domain is forwarded with a transport then this domain may not be added as email domain too.

3. s2892

s2892 New Member

Yes, when I remove domain form Emails Accounts -> Domains the forwarding looks, but..
    i cannot use this server as SMTP connector (I cannot create account for domain.com i.e. [email protected])

all works perfect if i create reflection one to one -> each mailbox on internal exchange has malbox in Backup MX (ISPConfig) so it ticks all my boxes:
    1) I can send directly from ISPConfig ( mailbox exists in local_recipient_maps) to Internal server (relayhost)
    2) When internal host is down / not accessible -> ISPConfig buffers the emails

the problem -> I have to create all mailboxes manually in ISPConfig. it works for 5 mailboxes but not for 50 etc.

So my question is possible to set up postfix:
    if local_recipient_maps
    send
    else NOT local_recipient_maps
    if domain has relayhost
    send
    else
    reject

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can reacte a fake domain for relaying as it is used for authentication only. Create e.g. a domain with the name "domain.out" and then a single mailbox "[email protected]" and use this email address and password to relay from your exchange server.