Ispconfig3 IMAP Standalone Server?

Discussion in 'General' started by Larry A. Rider, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Larry A. Rider

Larry A. Rider New Member

Hello,
    Is there a way of configuring in a multiple server configuration a standalone IMAP server?
    I expect to have a significant growth in IMAP clients and would like to prepare a diferent server only for IMAP connections.
    And leave the actual postfix mail server as it is.
    Is it posible?
    Is there another/better/similar way of doing something like this?

I am running today a multiple server ispconfig3 V3.0.5.4p8

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can ran dovecot on server a and postfix on server b. But you must change the delivery to dovecot from lda to lmtp or something els.

3. Larry A. Rider

Is this solution documented some-how under IspConfig3?

4. florian030

5. Gabri Shally

Gabri Shally New Member

if your concern is connection, you can use imapproxy.

6. Larry A. Rider

My concern is that my main mail server (under a Ispconfig3 multiserver setup) , that takes care of SMP, POP3, & IMAP connections, is getting very busy, and I was wondering if there was a way under IspConfig3 of splitting this server services in more servers.
    Today IspConfig3 permits in a multi-server setup to serve separatly: Mail, Web, Dns, Ftp, Db, & vServers.
    My idea is to Split the Mail server in 2 or 3 servers. One for SMTP, other for POP3, and another for IMAP. This way I divide the worload between more servers. And I would like to do it under IspConfig control, or a way supported by Ispconfig.

7. florian030

You can ran two mail-servers at the same time with ispconfig. I have two mail-servers (server-service mail - and nothing more). mail2 is a mirror of mail1. ispconfigs handles the user-create/access or whatever while dovecot replicates the mail-base between mail1 and mail2.

if you use such a setup it´s up to you, to split the imap/pop3 connections between the 2 mail-servers. you can use different imap-servers in the dns depending on the domain or use dns-roundrobin. dovecot-replication is limited to 2 servers but you can also create a larger backend. but i don´t think, that we will see this in the near future in ispconfig.

8. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Florian,

Your mention of 2 mail servers sounds interesting. I have multiple mail servers in a multi-service ISPConfig, but creating mirrors of my mail servers as an extra level of safety sounds interesting because it seems mail is the number one app for customers. They don't care if there website goes down but its the end of the world if their mail stops working.
    Any goog articles that describe how to set up mirrors of postfix and dovecot for imap/pop? Any issues with settings mail mirrors in a standard vanilla ISPConfig multi-server setup?

Thanks!

9. florian030

I installed all my servers according to the tutorials from howtoforge. mail1 is a mirror of mail2 and both are set to the mailservices onyl. you don´t need a replication for postfix, because you have alle mailuser / domains on both servers. the database from ispconfig stores filtes, passwords etc and the mailbase exists on both servers. do mirror the mailbase, i use the replication from dovecot: http://blog.schaal-24.de/uncategorized/mails-mit-dovecot-ueber-tcp-syncen/?lang=en (with latest debian wheezy or jessie you don´t need to change the sources as they already ship dovecot 2.x).