Please help , I am gonna be fired...

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by hopeless, Jul 19, 2006.

1. hopeless

hopeless New Member

Hi actually I am new linux user, I have started a job 2 weeks ago, they wanna me to configure a mail server, which will be postfix.
    the company ,hosting company,is located in Germany,but our country diffrent, so the boss wanna have a server also in our country, like a backup , if thare will be a connection problem between the companies, the server on our country wiill be work,
    I have found a lot of ebooks,visit a lot of sites including postfix.org, actually I coudult understand ,I know I shouldnt hope that you explain step by step , it wuld be miracle, I know you have not so much time, just I wonder which configuration type will be used, I am confused , a lot of configuration methods, mail server like gateway, mail server with multiple domains, etc ,
    I dont understand anything about mysystem
    I configured many times just described in tutorials, none of them worked
    now sendmail removed , and postfix installed well,
    service postfix status---> running
    chkconfig --list postfix..--> 0123456 all on
    and
    mail [email protected] ---> will be no warning but nothing happened in mailbox no new mail in hotmail, or anaother email address

pls help , just comment will be great for me...

2. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Try sending stuff (test emails) to a NON hotmail account! (gmail will do fine)

If you have NO correct SPF record, and if the domain is not "white listed" for hotmail no email will ever arrive in hotmail!
    That is.. In the IN box.. You might find some test emails in the "bulk" box!

3. Tortanick

Tortanick New Member

Why is your company asking a new linux user to run a mailserver? Beside the point.

Have you tried following falco's guide, its litrally copy and paste into the command line untill you have a server.

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier

It won't explain how to syncronise the users & passwords, or other stuff designed primarally for running a backup, but it will get you a working server.

And as edge said, get a SPF record, your webmaster will probobly know about that.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  4. hopeless

hopeless New Member

Thank you for replies, let me explain in brief way..
    We have hosting company that gives and locates mail server in German, the boss wants to be also located the mail server in our country,
    I wonder which method will be used, and in confuguration for example our IP let be IPHOME/24, and the mail server located in german hosting company is IPGER/24, and in our company there is a gateway so the mail server that I wanna to build in pc uses reserved IP, so
    mydomain=example.com
    myhost=mail.example.com --> in here host referes the pc in our company or german, is it so important ?because I wanna receive and send emails to the all email adress not only in a network,but also hotmail, yahoo, etc.
    mynetworks=.....,127.0.0.0/8 ----> in here ... should be IPHOME or IPGER, which will be used, if I use IPHOME itis reserved address how I can receive emails from outside, cause there is a gatewayi should I configure gateway adjustments and how:(

I know a lot of questions, and answers , I am really in desprate mood, I only hope that I can find answer from forum sites, because there a lot of people that knows rightly and experinced about linux, please help to me find out this problem, thank you so much

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

6. hopeless

hopeless New Member

hi again, I have found the configuration in the server at located in germany , I connected from putty to the server and looked main.cf in postfix at the server, I wrote almost same to the main.cf to my server , but now there is nothing again, I install Mailman and configure at there, and try to send a mail from there, it says The message sent succesfully, but there is no message at the client that I sent,also I sent message to a local user but there is no message in that user,(additionally when I try to send mail from Mailman(127.0.0.0:10000) it shows the email address [email protected] although I wrote myorigin=$mydomain)
    in the server at the located in german , when you create a user,Maildir(when you sent a message) and public_html occurs in the user directory, but for my server it cannot be occured, how I am gonna fixed it, have you any idea configuration is below

(our compnay doesnt use dns, I show the dns that example.com uses, and our internet is local area network, we have a gateway, just simple robotics modem)

mydomain = example.com
    mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
    canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
    relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
    masquerade_exceptions = root
    masquerade_classes = envelope_sender,header_sender,header_recipient
    myhostname = mail.example.com
    program_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
    inet_interfaces = all
    masquerade_domains = example.com
    mydestination = $mydomain mail.example.com localhost.$mydomain localhost
    defer_transports =
    disable_dns_lookups = no
    relayhost =
    content_filter = vscan:
    mailbox_command =
    mailbox_transport =
    smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
    smtpd_client_restrictions =
    smtpd_helo_required = no
    smtpd_helo_restrictions =
    strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,check_relay_domains,permit
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
    smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
    smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
    smtpd_sasl_local_domain =

7. falko

What about my previous question?
    What exactly is the purpose of your new mailserver?

Try to change the value of myhostname.

8. hopeless

hopeless New Member

hi falko , I figured out the postfix configuration, now I can send messages finallay, thank you so much for your helps , now I trying to secure the mail server , I actuallly know nothing about security, first off all, I try to learn Smtp server, I read but why iti important I couldnt understand now I am trying to make a key, cert file, I created one
    #cat cakey.pem newreq.pem > mykey.pem
    it gave an error
    cat:newreq.pem : No such file directory
    I think the installation guide, that I read, was for previous versions
    but although it gave error, now I can see in the directory , mykey.pem cert file occured, and when open with cat command I saw encrypted version
    I think it occured
    now how I configure in main.cf
    in old version of main.cf in germany server its written like::

smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
    smtpd_client_restrictions =
    smtpd_helo_required = no
    smtpd_helo_restrictions =
    strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,
    check_relay_domains,permit
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
    smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
    smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
    smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
    broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
    smtpd_use_tls=yes
    smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/mydomain.crt
    smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/mydomain.key
    smtpd_use_tls=no

above sometimes a term repated one more time, for example the red ones, have you any idea, or any reference that you can prefer to me read
    thank you

9. falko