postalias: fatal: open /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases: No such file or directory

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by daviz_zamora, Apr 30, 2014.

1. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

I'm reinstalling again, asks me to select Nginx Nginx or Apache .. gives me this error:
    [​IMG]

I try to fix it with the help that I see on the web:
    # cp /etc/aliases /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
    # postalias /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
    [​IMG]

but no way, I'm doing something wrong?? thank you very much!!!

In the browser can not see anything, error:

[​IMG]

Use: Centos 6.4 64bits and ISPConfig 3.0.5.3

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which tutorial do you use to install your server?

3. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

4. till

5. flyingscubakev

flyingscubakev New Member

Till,
    I just used the "Perfect Server Centos-6.5-apache2-mysql-php-pureftpd-postfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig3-p5" install doc. I'm doing this in a virtual machine and have followed the directions 3 times now from scratch. When I do the mailman step (22 Install Mailman), I have also followed it exactly as written and I also get the same "postalias: fatal ...." error.

Funny thing, we "touch /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases" and then run "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mailman" answer the 2 questions and then "vi /etc/aliases". When I look at my "/var/lib/mailman/data/" directory, the aliases file is linked " aliases -> /etc/mailman/aliases". Not sure how that happened or if that is correct, nevertheless, I get the same fatal error.

Kevin

6. till

Does the file /etc/mailman/aliases exist?

7. flyingscubakev

Nope, just three files in that directory "mm_cfg.py mm_cfg.py~ sitelist.cfg virtual_to_transport.sh".
    I just checked the install document, and don't see anywhere in it that references the alias file in that folder.
    There is a step right after "/usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist mailman" that you edit the "vi /etc/aliases" file and add a bunch of lines to it and then run the "newaliases" command.
    Kevin

8. till

Ok. The file /etc/mailman/aliases should exist normally. Run:

touch /etc/mailman/aliases

to create it. I will add this to the guide, just to be sure.

9. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

working all in Debian :), CentOS very problems :(

thanks all!

10. till

Thats why we recommend to use Debian or Ubuntu and not Centos :) The probem with centos is that it lacks many packages in its base repo, so you have to add several external repos like epel but these external repos cause often conflicts e.g. when they have same package names with different content.

11. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

Thanks, now I have another problem, I uploaded it via ftp wordpress web folder, but when accessing my domain I get the nginx welcome, this is due to?
    thanks

12. till

Did you delete the default index.html file in the website? It is a placehlder and has to be deleted when you upload your site.

13. daviz_zamora

daviz_zamora New Member

yes, I've deleted the. html folder and Error

I uploaded all the wordpress files, and still does not work :(

14. till

15. flyingscubakev

Thanks, maybe I will try one of the other two that you recommend. Somewhere I missed the part (thread) were you recommend using one of those other two (Debian or Ubuntu). So I will switch, is there one of those that are "more" recommended over the other? I don't want to go to all the work of downloading and starting over to find out that I should have used xxxxx.

Thanks again for you're great help.

Kevin

16. till

The most stable Distribution for ISPConfig is Debian Linux.

17. BOGAITC

BOGAITC New Member

Hi Till - I have now done your tutorial twice and it has been a great learning process for me.
    On this thread it talks about the mailman aliases error and I have pinpointed the error in the tutorial - I apologise if this is obsolete or has already been resolved but if not here goes:

In the tutorial you state:
    Open /etc/aliases afterwards...
    vi /etc/aliases
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...ix-dovecot-and-ispconfig3/2/#-install-mailman

it should be:

vi /etc/mailman/aliases
    or
    nano /etc/mailman/aliases

or as you said:
    touch /etc/mailman/aliases

to resolve it I just copied aliases from /etc/ to /etc/mailman/

I noticed this when daviz_zamora was tring to fix it and the error came up "hanging symlink" I realised then that the red "aliases" in /var/lib/mailman/data/ was a broken shortcut.

Thank you!