Newbie i'm not able to install ispconfig3 on ubuntu, i beg help.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kastronomicallistrophyl, Mar 30, 2016.

1. I'm not able to install ispconfig3 in ubuntu at all... it is my 5th try! I follow this tutorial at digitalocean /community/tutorials/how-to-install-ispconfig3-on-an-ubuntu-14-04-server and at the end i always end up with website broken Apache or something...
    "Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@localhost to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at www."
    P.s before the installation website is all ok... after the try of installation it goes broken, and the last page which is supposed to open at
    "h t t ps: // server_domain_name:8080" never work
    -------------------------------------- Two things to add:
    Previously i have used other tutorial installed LAMP from digitalocean,
    i noticed in the ispconfig3 installation (not sue as i'm newbie) i think it created a database called dbispconfig something like that... but in LAMP installation it took me to created a database for wordpress.
    Also i'm getting this error:
    "You are missing a dpkg-statoverride on /var/run/amavis. Fix it, otherwise you r isk silent breakage on upgrades."
    Just wanted to address these two things in case they have any relation to what is happening to break the website.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not have a website on the server before you start the installation as the installation requires an empty server as basis. so if the server has already a website installed or you have installed already other software or anther controlpanel, then format the server first and start with a basic (empty) ubuntu install.

3. Hmm, so you mean is, i should not have installed LAMP wordpress or anything? I been following the step-bystep tutorials series from digital ocean, and after installed LAMP and wordpress the next step would be controlpanel, now i'm kinda lost. So ISPconfig3 must be installed alone?
    Thanks
    ----------------- Ok one small update here:
    I used this command here
    sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8080 -j ACCEPT
    i'm not sure if it helped in anything, but now the panel IS working, i would like to know if it is safe to continue working on it the way it is (with previously things like LAMP and wordpress installed) or i will be getting troubles in future and should do liek you said, make a clean install?
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Exactly. A server control panel has to be installed first, before you create a website, as it manages your server.

They should have told you that their tutorials are bot compatible with each other, no wonder that the setup failed.

The setps to setup your hosting server are:

1) Get a clean Ubuntu by resetting your droplet. Choose a minimal Ubuntu 14.04 as basis for the droplet.
    2) Then use just this tutorial, start with step 8: https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-...hp-mysql-pureftpd-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p3

But my recommendation is to use Debian 8 instead of Ubuntu 14.04. The setup is much faster as there is an automatic install script:

1) Get a Debian 8 minimal droplet from Digitalocean.
    2) Use this script to install the full server automatically. https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-install-script-debian/

When the server is installed, just login to ispconfig, create your website there and an ftp and / or ssh user, then upload WordPress to your website or use the automatic aps installer to install WordPress.

5. zenny

zenny Member

@kastronomicallistrophyl: May I suggest you to use autoinstaller like https://github.com/servisys/ispconfig_setup in a bare metal os? Maybe this would ease a lot. A thorough study of the installation script gives you the basic idea of what it actually does. Just my two cents!