Best way to prepare a server for migration.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Larry A. Rider, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Larry A. Rider

Larry A. Rider New Member

Hello,
    I currently have in production a ISPCONFIG 3.0.5.4p8 multiple server setup with 11 servers.
    I want to move them all to a new datacenter and at the same time, prepare a new clean install and re-organice the current setup.
    I was thinking of using the ISPConfig Migration Tool to do the job, but I do not know what is the best or more recommended setup for the new servers to make as easy, fast, and trouble-less as possible the migration.
    Keep in mind that it is a production system, and downtime should be as small as possible.

2. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

If it was me I would put ISPConfig master as a standalone server and make sure it was backed up very well. I would create a separate DNS server as primary DNS and then mirror it to 2 outside servers running ISPConfig (inexpensive low cost low power 256 or 512 meg machines). Would use a standard naming convention for production servers, Web servers would be wxx.mydomain.com, Mail servers mxx.mydomain.com, Database servers dxx.mydomain.com where xx would be a number. Have a very good backup system like R1soft to ensure you can do bare metal restores if needed. Would wait for 3.1 to release before moving.

One concern I have about moving is having all the mail users have to change the connect info. Lets say I have 3 mail servers and the users incoming and outgoing mail server is m01.mydomain.com, m02.mydomain.com, or m03.mydomain.com depending on where their email is. If you migrate to new mail servers will you be able to keep the same mail server dns names to prevent having the mail users all have to change their connect info in their clients. It would be a bitch to have to tell 1000 users they have to change their PC and SMartPhone connect info on all their email client devices.

Good luck with your move. Keep us apprised of how it goes.

midoudaipa likes this.
  3. Larry A. Rider

But I want to keep a MultiServer configuration as I have know because it worked fine since the begining at least for me.

4. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

This is a multiserver configuration. If your talking about Clusters then I got nothing. Believe its quicker and easier to just restore a crashed volume then mess around with replication. Good Luck!

5. Larry A. Rider

Upssss. Sorry. I did not read correctly your email. You are right. Its is a multi-server setup.
    What I really want to know is what is the best or most recomended "setup" for this situation.
    I want to know wich OS to choose, mail server, etc. so the "migration" from my current ispconfig servers to the new ones is as easy and as smouth as possible.
    Since I can choose know, I prefer to give it a good thought before creating the new environment.
    Any recomendations/sugestions are welcome.

6. Larry A. Rider

Sorry. I just saw that this post is not in the correct forum.
    I am going to move it to the one of ISPConfig.
    Sorry.