ISP Config 3.1 Let Encrypt Control Panel Certificate

Discussion in 'General' started by rgwilliams20, Sep 30, 2016.

1. rgwilliams20

rgwilliams20 New Member

Hi All,

This is probably a really stupid question but....
    Can you use Lets Encrypt to generate a certificate for the ISP Config Control Panel? If so, how?

ganewbie likes this.
  2. diablo666

diablo666 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I was searching the same :)

3. adevx

adevx New Member

I don't believe this is possible from the web interface itself. But can be achieved by other means.
    First make sure you have a letsencrypt certificate for the domain you want to use to access the ispconfig web panel.
    If you don't have a certificate make an otherwise empty website in ispconfig with the required domain name and letsencrypt enabled.
    Now go to "/usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl" , here are the self signed certs for the ispconfig web interface

First make a backup / move the current certificate:
    # mv ispserver.crt ispserver.crt.backup
    # mv ispserver.key ispserver.key.backup

Link .cert and .key to your previously generated certificates, for instance (client en web dir wil be different):
    # ln -s /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.crt ispserver.crt
    # ln -s /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.key ispserver.key
    This results in:
    # ls -lha
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 51 apr 4 18:20 ispserver.crt -> /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.crt
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 51 apr 4 18:20 ispserver.key -> /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.key

Perhaps a webserver restart and you should be good to go. I haven't checked out the just released ispconfig 3.1, it might have been integrated.

Wilt likes this.
  4. kerrsmith

kerrsmith Member

Thanks for the post adevx, I just tried it and it works in ISPConfig 3.1.

I had to do the following in /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl:

# ln -s /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.crt ispserver.crt
    # ln -s /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.key ispserver.key
    # ln -s /var/www/clients/client1/web9/ssl/yourpaneldomain.nl.bundle ispserver.bundle

(note the extra bundle line)

Then in the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/ispconfig.vhost I had to uncomment the following line:

SSLCACertificateFile /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.bundle

I then did an Apache restart and got a Verified by Let's Encrypt padlock when on the admin login page.

5. diablo666

diablo666 Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

DDArt likes this.
  6. Wilt

Wilt Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks adevx and kerrsmith. I followed kerrsmith's variant (as I am using ISPC 3.1) and it worked perfectly. Many thanks for the guidance.

7. Mjwienold

Mjwienold New Member

DDArt likes this.
  8. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member