Help with The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by LinuxNewb, Jul 28, 2006.

1. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb New Member

I have 3 questions about the "The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server" howto:

1) in /etc/hosts I am not sure what I should fill in this information with....I mean I am sure the first row stays the same and the second row's ipaddress should be the static ip I put in /etc/network/interfaces but as far as server1.example.com and server1....I just have no idea what that means. Is it the url I am using for the website I built? Is it just something random? Is it my dyndns url? I mean I am just confused about that. I just put my domain in there so I guess that's why I am having problems on my second and third questions.

2)on the 4th page, at the very bottom, where it says:
    mysqladmin -u root password yourrootsqlpassword
    mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword​
    I am getting the following error:
    mysqladmin: connetc to server at 'my domain' failed
    error: 'Host 'my domain' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server​
    And again, I am sure this is due to me not setting up the /etc/hosts file right.

3)Finaly, I installed ispconfig and it ran great. Went though all the steps and everything...I go to log into it and nothing loads. I have tryed connecting to it from a different machine using my domain.com:81 (the one I put in the host file), I tryed using the static ip I put in the /etc/network/interfaces file, and nothing seems to work.

I am sure this is just me being a dummy newb at linux but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Use your dyndns.org address instead of server1.example.com.

MySQL is using another server name. You can forget about this for now. Later on, when you have phpMyAdmin installed, you can go to the mysql.user table and change the server name to your dyndns.org address and restart MySQL.

What's the output of
    Code:
    netstat -tap
    ?

3. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb New Member

Thank you Falko for taking the time to help me :).

I have a quesiton about my dyndns.org account. All it is doing is forwarding all the traffic to my IP address with a dynamic dns host. Is that ok or do I need to use one of there other 500 services? I mean I am not using their webhop, mailhop outbound, recursive dns, sla, non of the my zone services and so on.

I will correct the /etc/hosts and /etc/postfix/main.cf but I assume that the ispconfig entery is correct? It isn't server1.example.com, it is the domain that my site is on.

the output for 'netstat -tap' is:

Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdo:59939 *:* LISTEN 4 400/python
    tcp 0 0 *:mysql *:* LISTEN 4 787/mysqld
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdo:33201 *:* LISTEN 4 397/hpiod
    tcp 0 0 *:ftp *:* LISTEN 5 103/proftpd: (acce
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdoma:ipp *:* LISTEN 5 614/cupsd
    tcp 0 0 *:smtp *:* LISTEN 9 504/master
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdo:33201 localhost.localdo:43750 ESTABLISHED4 397/hpiod
    tcp 0 0 localhost.localdo:43750 localhost.localdo:33201 ESTABLISHED4 400/python
    tcp6 0 0 *:imaps *:* LISTEN 4 536/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *:pop3s *:* LISTEN 4 577/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *:pop3 *:* LISTEN 4 554/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *:imap2 *:* LISTEN 4 513/couriertcpd
    tcp6 0 0 *:www *:* LISTEN 5 173/apache2
    tcp6 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN 4 972/sshd
    tcp6 0 0 *:smtp *:* LISTEN 9 504/master
    tcp6 0 0 *:https *:* LISTEN 5 173/apache2

if you're getting smily faces on your pop3s and pop3, they should be ':' and 'p'. Once again Thank you for all your help and have a great day :)

4. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb New Member

oops I forgot one thing....

I don't remember the how to saying anything about phpMyAdmin.
    could you link me an how to on that or just expain it to me.

thanks again

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's ok (as long as your dyndns.org address is pointing directly to your IP address instead of doing a redirect).

ISPConfig isn't running. Start it:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server start
    If you get error messages, please post them here.

Once you're logged into ISPConfig, You can go to Management -> Update Manager and install the phpMyAdmin package from here: http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads.htm
    After successful installation you'll find a link to your phpMyAdmin under "Tools".

6. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb New Member

Thank you SO much for helping me out :D. That salved all of my problems up to this point :D . You have been such a HUGE help. I am sure I will have questions in the future but for now I think I am content hehe.

If you have any ideas on how to make my url from godaddy look at my dyndns url that would be even better hehe. Though I hope I can figure this one out atleast LOL. Thanks again.

7. LinuxNewb

LinuxNewb New Member

WOOT!!! I got it hehe. I was up late last night working on some other stuff with the server and tryed something that worked when I checked it this morning :D!