Web-FTP okay, but FTP doesn't connect

Discussion in 'General' started by Jcorrea920, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

I running ISPConfig 2.2.3 on Fedora 4 and if I try to connect FTP using a client or Windows XP Network I get an error saying that I may not have permissions to access the folder. Below I have listed the usual netstat, /etc/proftpd, /etc/proftpd_ispconfig, /etc/shells.

netstat -tap

Code:
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
    tcp        0      0 *:32769                     *:*                         LISTEN      1383/rpc.statd
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                     *:*                         LISTEN      1823/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                    *:*                         LISTEN      1366/portmap
    tcp        0      0 *:81                        *:*                         LISTEN      2114/ispconfig_http
    tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LISTEN      16673/proftpd: (acc
    tcp        0      0 10.79.33.186:domain         *:*                         LISTEN      2386/named
    tcp        0      0 10.79.33.185:domain         *:*                         LISTEN      2386/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomai:domain *:*                         LISTEN      2386/named
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:ipp   *:*                         LISTEN      1679/cupsd
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:5335  *:*                         LISTEN      1663/mDNSResponder
    tcp        0      0 *:smtp                      *:*                         LISTEN      2726/master
    tcp        0      0 localhost.localdomain:rndc  *:*                         LISTEN      2386/named
    tcp        0      0 *:imaps                     *:*                         LISTEN      2655/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3s                     *:*                         LISTEN      2655/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:pop3                      *:*                         LISTEN      2655/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:imap                      *:*                         LISTEN      2655/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 *:http                      *:*                         LISTEN      2288/httpd
    tcp        0      0 *:ssh                       *:*                         LISTEN      1725/sshd
    tcp        0      0 *:https                     *:*                         LISTEN      2288/httpd
    /etc/proftpd.conf

Code:
    ServerName                      "ProFTPD server"
    ServerIdent                     on "FTP Server ready."
    ServerAdmin                     root@localhost
    ServerType                      standalone
    #ServerType                     inetd
    DefaultServer                   on
    AccessGrantMsg                  "User %u logged in."
    #DisplayConnect                 /etc/ftpissue
    #DisplayLogin                   /etc/ftpmotd
    #DisplayGoAway                  /etc/ftpgoaway
    DeferWelcome                    off

DefaultRoot                     ~ !adm

AuthPAMConfig                   proftpd
    AuthOrder                       mod_auth_pam.c* mod_auth_unix.c

IdentLookups                    off
    UseReverseDNS                   off

Port                            21

Umask                           022

ListOptions                     "-a"

AllowRetrieveRestart            on
    AllowStoreRestart               on

MaxInstances                    20

User                            nobody
    Group                           nobody

ScoreboardFile                  /var/run/proftpd.score

<Global>
      AllowOverwrite                yes
      <Limit ALL SITE_CHMOD>
        AllowAll
      </Limit>
    </Global>

LogFormat                       default "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b"
    LogFormat                       auth    "%v [%P] %h %t \"%r\" %s"

#DefaultRoot ~

#Include /etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf

/etc/proftpd_ispconfig.conf

Code:
    <VirtualHost 10.79.33.185>
            DefaultRoot             ~
            AllowOverwrite          on
            Umask                   002
    </VirtualHost>
    <VirtualHost 10.79.33.186>
    </VirtualHost>
    <VirtualHost 10.79.33.50>
    </VirtualHost>

/etc/shells

Code:
    /bin/sh
    /bin/bash
    /sbin/nologin
    /bin/ksh
    /bin/tcsh
    /bin/csh
    /bin/zsh
    /bin/false
    /SENDMAIL/ANY/SHELL/
    FTP has never worked for me and I am behind a firewall with Port 21 pointing to this server. Should I also point port 20? Should I upgrade to ISPconfig 2.2.5? I always used Web-FTP to upload files, one at a time. But my clients probably wouldn't like that much. I thank you all in advance. :(

2. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

Solved..

I just downloaded SmartFTP on my XP box and I got it to work go figure. Does SmartFTP make something for Apple's OSX? That would be my client's interface. Maybe OSX has something that will work for him. Thanks for all the help.:D

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think there are some FTP clients for MacOS out there (unfortunately I don't know their names...).

4. akrour27

akrour27 New Member

problem with proftpd in ispconfig

i have some user in ISPCONFIG, sometimes those users have access to WebFTP of ISPCONFIG and sometimes they have no access, for using FTP Custumers no access for all ISPCONFIG's users.
    IF you have some things to help me, please help me, i need to make it

5. falko

Customers and resellers exist only in ISPConfig, they are no system users. You can use FTP and email only with the users you create on the "User & Email" tab.

6. akrour27

akrour27 New Member

the WebFTP of ISPCONFIG not allow Transfer of many files

I know that the users of ISPCONFIG are not the system users, but if we specifiate the question is if we have an user of ispconfig are administrateur we can use it like a ftp user??

7. minskog

minskog New Member

For me, the best are:
    Free: cyberduck (macosx style)
    Shareware: Transmit (like smartftp)

8. falko

You mean the ISPConfig admin? No, it's not a system user, he cannot use email and FTP.

9. akrour27

akrour27 New Member

i mean the ISPConfig users email

But the ispconfig has WEB FTp that we can enter to ours sites by the admin users of email

10. falko

The site admins can use FTP and email, of course. I was talking about the ISPConfig admin.