ISPConfig Admin Password Reset

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Finlay, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Finlay

Finlay New Member

I'm talking about the admin user, not the database user.
    I've somehow locked myself out, and reset password does not seem to work (probably because outbound email is not properly configured).
    How can I set my admin password?
    This page "how-to-reset-the-administrator-password-in-ispconfig" on faqforge says I can do it by using md5('newpassword') in the db, but having tried that, it did not work for me. The posts are all 2+ years old for it too.
    I'm on latest stable ispconfig w/ MySQL 5.7
    Is md5 still supposed to be the way to do it? Is there a new method?
    Thanks in advance

2. Finlay

Finlay New Member

The instruction were to modify the `sys_user` table, but I also noticed my account was in `client` with a `password` column there too. So I tried changing it there but that also didn't work.

3. Finlay

Finlay New Member

I'm beginning to think my problem is more with MySQL 5.7 and not the reset.
    I used the password reset hash in the db to manually call password_reset.php, and used an added a file_put_contents to nab the password it generated into a /tmp file.
    Trying to login with the new password, I don't get a bad password error message, but it also doesn't log me in, just stays on the login screen.
    So I'm either going to try the git-dev branch (I'm on stable atm) or I have to consider downgrading from mysql 5.7
    Going to debug the code a bit at the login page to make sure I'm not crazy and try to figure out what's wrong.

4. Finlay

Finlay New Member

SOLVED!
    OK so the last piece of the puzzle was to reset my cookies. For some reason I had 2 sessions set and it was messing up.
    I still think post #3 above is useful for others who have a host that isn't sending out emails, as I outline how to reset the password.
    Maybe the md5 would have worked, but I couldn't tell because of the session problem.