Mailman multi-host issues

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by ken.moellman, Jun 4, 2017.

1. ken.moellman

ken.moellman New Member

Hello,

I have Ubuntu 16.04 + Apache + Mailman + ISPConfig 3.1, and the mailman mailing lists config for clients will not work out of the box. So I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

I found the thread on the forums from someone who just kept messing with it until it worked, but his explanation of what he did wasn't complete. I'm looking for some assistance from the point of "I just finished installing the stable version of ISPConfig 3.1.x"

Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which exact problem do you have with mailman lists, which tutorial did you use to install ISPConfig on your server and to which thread about mailman do you refer to?

3. ken.moellman

ken.moellman New Member

I used the web version of the tutorial for Ubuntu 16.04, and did pay for HowToForge subscription to get the latest PDF version as well. Neither were very helpful for mailman. The issue is that after creating the list the client needs to be able to maintain their lists.

I fixed my problem by turning off Suexec and creating a symbolic link in the cgi-bin directory for the client vhost back to the installation directory for mailman. I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to be done, but it worked. If there's a different way it's supposed to work, I would be interested in hearing it.

It would be cool if there was a plug-in for the ISPConfig GUI that would allow management directly through there. Also being able to post archives to a site other than the core site would be nice. In my particular scenario, the primary website is hosted for clients on another site entirely. We are using ISPConfig for mail and mailman and XMPP.

4. till

Mailman is normally accessed trough the server hostname and not trough the domain name of a website that it is hosted on. Disabling suexec is only an option if you don't plan to use the websites on that server as suexec is essential for website security.

5. ken.moellman

ken.moellman New Member

What I have now is this....
    * I am ISPsite.com.
    * A client owns MyDomain.Com. The main website is hosted elsewhere (www.MyDomain.Com).
    * MyDomain.Com is set up locally as the website for the client.
    * When I create a domain entry for MyDomain.Com under the Client's account, then create a mailman list called MyList, it sends the list admin an email directing them to https://MyDomain.Com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/MyList
    This lets them manage their mailman list through MyDomain.Com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin (managing through ISPsite.com/cgi-bin/mailman/admin doesn't let them see their list).

I've created a cron task that looks for new clientX/webX/ directories and backtraces to the domain, then creates an auto-push with meta-refresh to www.MyDomain.Com from the locally-hosted MyDomain.Com. That way people looking for the main site get pushed to the correct site.
    The same cron task links the cgi-bin/mailman directory under MyDomain.Com to the one stored in /usr/wherever...

This seems to be working but it's a bit of a kludge. Good? Not good?

6. till

I guess you can try to change the mm_cfg.py file from mailman, it contains a line DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN with a placeholder %s inside, Try to replace %s with the hostname of the server so that all links point to the hostname without the need to setup the websites for the clients locally. In case mailman complains that the placeholder %s is missing, then you might try something like this:

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://yourserverhostname.tld/cgi-bin/mailman/#%s'

Haven't tested that but it might work.