Help needed with Postfix-MySQL's Maildir setup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by standk, Aug 1, 2006.

1. standk

standk New Member

Currently it is setup to create the Maildir in /home/vmail/ upon receiving the initial email. I have followed the steps of this tutorial.

What I would like is for whenever an email address is created, that the Maildir is created in that user's home directory. That is, it would be helpful to have that directory located in /home/user/mail instead of in /home/vmail. Since I would like to support multiple home directories, it is not as easy as setting the directory to just /home/user/mail instead of /home/vmail.

Is there a way to create a column that specifies which directory to deliver the mail to in MySQL, and which user to give permissions to access that directory?

I was thinking that I could just create a link to the created directories in the home folder of the user who should have access, but the problem exists that the permissions are still vmail:vmail.

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Kent

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

In your setup you have virtual users, not system users. Virtual users don't have homedirs.

3. standk

standk New Member

That's right, but each virtual user is associated with a system user. Is there a way to have Postfix assume the user associated with each virtual account, so that the permissions are taken care of 'correctly'?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

There's one system user for all your virtual accounts, not one for each virtual account. So this doesn't work.