ISPconfig migration tool?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by jboud, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Could you please look into the migrate.log file on the source server? Maybe there were API errors on the mig run.
    As @till already said the vhost files only are created on a real run, not a dry run, but anyway this should not harm the running apache. If you face this again once you continue, please post the output of "apachectl -t" and "apachectl -S" so we might get a hint what is going on there.

2. reason8

reason8 Member

Why would a dry run add my websites to /etc/apache2/sites-available and sites-enabled?

I just ran the migration.
    It's not copying over all of my files.

An example:
    sent 8 bytes received 104 bytes 224.00 bytes/sec
    total size is 0 speedup is 0.00
    rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1668) [Receiver=3.1.2]
    rsync: [Receiver] write error: Broken pipe (32)
    receiving incremental file list
    rsync: change_dir "/var/www/clients/client8/web156" failed: No such file or directory (2)

/var/www/clients/client8 is there with some files. But not all of the websites for this host.

These files exist on the source server.

3. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

This seems more like an aborted migration. Please attach the migrate.log or send it to migsupport [at] ispconfig [dot] org

4. reason8

reason8 Member

I have emailed the migrate.log from the source server.
    Thanks.

5. reason8

reason8 Member

Hello and good day.
    I am trying to delete the /var/www/clients folder (as root).
    It will not allow me.
    I remember having this problem with Ubuntu before and could not find a resolution.
    It's what has kept me from moving to ubuntu in the first place.

Can someone assist?
    root@hostname:/var/www/clients# rm -rf client9
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/tmp': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/ssl': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/cgi-bin': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/log': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/private': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/webdav': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web15/web': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/tmp': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/ssl': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/cgi-bin': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/log': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/private': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/webdav': Operation not permitted
    rm: cannot remove 'client9/web3/web': Operation not permitted

The logs don't show anything either.

6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Please use with care though you may know what you want to do.

To allow changes/by root:
    Code:
    chattr -i web1
    To disallow changes by root:
    Code:
    chattr +i web1

7. reason8

reason8 Member

Hi Ahrasis,
    Can this be done at the top of the folder tree (ie: /var/www/)?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Use this command to remove the immutable bit for all sites:

chattr -i /var/www/clients/client*/web*

ahrasis likes this.
  9. reason8

reason8 Member

No change. The script is still not able to write to the directory.
    This is becoming a daunting task.

10. till

Which script is not able to write to the web directory and as which user are y ourunning that script?

11. till

12. reason8

reason8 Member

The migration script which is ran on the target.
    This is the one having issues writting to the file system.

13. reason8

reason8 Member

I did, right after this happened (about 2 weeks ago). I have not heard anything back.

14. till

You should check your Inbox, all your questions had been answered by the support team at that time. I see also the answers from you here (our answer from July 09, then several emails on july 20 with a last email from our support on July 21), so there is nothing left open here. I wonder who answered the mails in your name then, if it were not you?

You posted the following command above which fails:

root@hostname:/var/www/clients# rm -rf client9

This is not a command that is used by the migrator. So I wonder why you are running it as you should not remove any folders manually. The migrator is using rsync, so when you run the data copy script again, it will sync the missing parts, you don't have to delete folders first as this would just cause the data to be copied twice.

15. till

To bring this migration to an end, please contact our support, you have the emails in your email history. If you deleted them, then use the contact form that I posted the link to. In that email, please explain which exact problem you have with the data copy script (the exact errors that you see on the screen). Even if there are some permission errors on existing folders, then these may be absolutely fine. so Please let our support staff decide if an error is relevant or not before you try to delete something which might then mess up your setup.

16. reason8

reason8 Member

What is the email address FROM that the support would be contacting me from?

17. reason8

reason8 Member

I ran this commend trying to delete one of the folders that the migration tool was not able to wrote over due to the file system permissions.
    I know it is not a migration command.

18. till

You will receive an email from a @ispconfig.org address. The actual email address may vary depending on the person who supports you. You wrote force and back with Marius in this case. I have the emails here where someone who is doing an ISPConfig migration with your email address contacted us and received answers and this person answered to our emails, so it was either you or someone who is using your email address to contact us with questions regarding the use of the migration tool, maybe a relative or an employee of your company if it was not you?

That's not an indication of an error as folders were created by ISPConfig and don't have to be recreated by rsync. So what were the actual error messages thrown by the tool? Please put them into an email and send them to us as you should not post the whole script output to a public forum for security reasons.

As a side note, the above chattr command should work, I just tested it again. Maybe you did not run it as root or you are using a different web root than /var/www ? But it don't matter for the migration anyway as you should not remove any of these protected folders.

19. till

Thank you for contacting the official support by email again. We received your message and send you an answer already.

20. ispcomm

ispcomm Member

A question: Can you use the migration tool to move between "web" servers in a multiserver setup (that is, two different servers in the same ispconfig multiserver setup).
    thank you.