Bind DNS not using new server ip address for new clients

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by adamjedgar, Oct 26, 2017.

1. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

typically,
    what in bind would cause this behaviour?
    What steps should i take to problem solve?
    I am not using bind dns actually, however, i have noticed that on another server where i have changed it external static ip address, bind is not using the new ip address for new client accounts...it is using the old one.

2. hello adamjedgar, please provide more info like OS version and control panel etc.

3. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

I was hoping to avoid control panel naming because its not my ispconfig 3 server that i am having this problem with...anyway, i have 3 servers i am trialing cp's on...ispconfig,vestacp and virtualmin...the one doing this is my virtualmin server on debian 9.

4. Can you confirm the nameservers are pointing for such domain to right server? As I remember you supposed to use external DNS?

5. adamjedgar

adamjedgar Member

i think you are misunderstanding my query...
    this is the suggested nameserver zone file records automatically generated by virtualmin for new virtual servers!

The object of the exercise is that a client has a new virtual server created, then uses the suggested zone records generated by virtualmin to add them to their registrar zone records (or where ever the dns is being hosted).

My virtulamin server is telling clients to use the wrong ip address (the old one that i have since changed).

6. hmm that makes sense. Did you try to update default DNS template which is under server templates?