Where to start?

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by deboa, Jul 27, 2016.

1. deboa

deboa New Member

Hello everybody! My name is Deian and I have a big dream: someday I want to be a web designer and run a small hosting company (just to host the sites that I make). I am really young (14 this october) and from an extremely underdeveloped area, but I have some money to invest and a good knowdlege of the english language, beyond a huge wish to learn and get out of my condition. So my question is: where to start? Is there a book, or any other resource, to start understanding what you guys talk about? I know that this may bother you, that you dont have time for this. But all of you have started some way so even a small line saying "I started with..." would make me really happy; I am seriously in need.

Thanks, love, Deian

fcmanutd18788 likes this.
  2. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Get a copy of latest Debian Linux (or any Linux distribution) and a PC or laptop and start learning. Get proficient in searching on Google and use is extensively to help you install Linux and understand what is going on.

There is no shortcut for experience. Good Luck!

NeonTigerUK likes this.
  3. matthewobrn

matthewobrn New Member

Agreed with webguys, get a cheap 2nd hand laptop, download Debian 8.4 Jessie and get learning.
    If you want to host and need somewhere to start, The Perfect Server - Debian 8.4 Jessie (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3.1) would be my first port of call.

NeonTigerUK likes this.
  4. NeonTigerUK

NeonTigerUK Member

Deian ... you are in the right place, forums! Not just here but there are many that will help you.
    I would also recommend starting with a "Perfect Server" build on a laptop or desktop :)
    Other technologies to look at ...
    • Joomla
    • WordPress
    • PHP
    • Grav
    • Gantry 5
    • Twig
    • Yaml
    Gitter.im and Glip also have plenty of resources / rooms where you will get lots of help, if you are courteous and professional in your activities in them, same goes of course in any forum (including this one) you join and participate in :)
    Hope to see you on the web
    Rich :)

ps: I don't mean to say in my statement above you have not been courteous or professional in here :) :)

5. DexDeadly

DexDeadly New Member

Old laptops are great for that stuff. Thats where I started.

6. lephuongtrinh

lephuongtrinh New Member

If you want to host and need somewhere to start, The Perfect Server - Debian 8.4 Jessie would be my first port of call

7. MikroTik

MikroTik New Member

Or you can rent a VPS and do not care about hardware and focus only on SW :)

8. xnooztv

xnooztv New Member

PHP/bootstrap ;)

9. danny94

danny94 New Member

I won't recommend starting with server stuff at beginning if he like to host his own sites.
    I would recommend do some same like me ;D.
    Learning html/css first of all.
    Get some free software like wordpress, host on a free server or use some webbuilder sites and use html css.

Then if your common with those get into php and make your own templates. Dont use wordpress/typo3 etc anymore and make everything at your own. Make your own scripts and get intouch with mysql.

At all im not really a fan of javascript, but to stay up to date and in some cases it's needed. So use this between but donr use to many plugins etc. Use jquery and program everything at your own.
    In my opinion performance is more important then a 3s loading site. (My sites DOM loading in 300 ms and full load 550ms - 175kb with some images and it's not the best server we own.)

Learn by doing is the best way ;D.
    Sometimes side check w3schools.