mail problems after server migration

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by wems, Jan 30, 2018.

1. wems

wems New Member

hi!
    ispconfig says: smtp server offline.
    I also think i don't receive mails on the new server........

history:
    i tried to move my complete ispconfig installation with all webs/user/mails from SERVER_A to SERVER_B. both are debian 9. both actual ispconfig version.
    i followed the topics here in the forums.

together with the ispconfig installation on SERVER_B a new db password for the user ispconfig was set. later - when i restore my databases from SERVER_A - i overwrite the password in the db with the one from SERVER_A.
    So - i changed the passwort in several files and the ispconfig access was possible.
    the websites are fine.

in mail.err i have (some not so actual) lines:
    dovecot: auth-worker(22187): Error: mysql(localhost): Connect failed to database (dbispconfig): Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    I changed the password in the dovecot-sql.conf to the "old" ispconfig password from SERVER_A.

I think i need a hint or something. i know there is something small but relvant that i dont see......

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ensure that you have the correct ispconfig password in the fule /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php, then make an ispconfig update with reconfigure services = yes to refresh the config files of all services.

3. wems

wems New Member

the password in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/config.inc.php is correct. i can connect with it using mysql command line.
    as my ispconfig is up to date i cannot use ispconfig_update.sh - so i use these lines:

Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
    tar xvfz ISPConfig-3-stable.tar.gz
    cd ispconfig3_install/install
    php -q update.php
    Restarted all services (dovecot / postfix) - they are up and running/active.
    but no mails inbound/outbound (smtp error when use roundcube / smtp status in ispconfig is offline)

4. till

Take a look at the mail.log file to find out why postfix does not start.

5. wems

wems New Member

1) postfix isn't really in the log - only when i try to send a mail it says:
    postfix/postqueue[3757]: warning: Mail system is down -- accessing queue directly

2) dovecot entry when stop & start the service
    dovecot: master: Warning: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=2925 uid=0 code=kill)
    dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.27 (c0f36b0) starting up for imap, pop3 (core dumps disabled)

on the old server "netstat -tap | grep smtp" brings 2 entrys - smtp is listen.
    on the new server the command returns nothing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  6. wems

wems New Member

i got it - i got it
    in the /etc/postfix/main.cf i have a type error (missing space in front of "-o").
    as i manually reconfig postfix with "sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix" it printed an error.

@till: should i reconfigure the services with the resync tool or is it ok to use "sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix"?

7. till

Hmm, -o lines are normally in master.cf, not main.cf. Fix the mentioned line and restart postfix. I wont use dpkg-reconfigure as it will remove your mail server config and the resync tool in ispconfig has different purpose, it does not alter the postfix main.cf and master.cf files.