Perfect SUSE 10.1 for 32 bit on a 64 bit Proftpd Setup

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by AOE, Aug 13, 2006.

1. AOE

AOE New Member

First of all great tutorial for a newbie like me trying to do server. I am currently trying to configure Suse 10.1 64 bit with ur 32 bit guide. Its been working fine until i get to the point where i need to make the proftpd package. I read some of the post at the end but it doesnt help at all and i have looked all over google. The post at the end of page 6 talked about the wrong version of "glibc-devel". I have even went as far as getting the rpms for em and that doesnt work either.
    when i do the ./configure --sysconfdir=/etc i get these errors:

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    checking for gcc... gcc
    Checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
    see 'config.log' for more details.

so if u can please help me or atleast let me know if i should just use another distro for a 64bit server. Im almost thinking of switching to FreeBSD 6 amd64. Thank you and please keep up the good work.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Did you try this?

3. AOE

AOE New Member

I came, I saw, I didnt understand???

well i saw that but i have no idea what is the right way to change that and what steps need to be taken to make the change in yast.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Open yast, go to the software installation tool and search for glibc. Uninstall the currently installed glibc-devel and install the glibc-devel for x86_64.

5. AOE

AOE New Member

???

Im sorry but how do i actually do that...i searched throughout yast and i couldnt find the files. Can i please get a walk through on how to do it. or what source do i need. thanks in adavnce.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Run
    Code:
    yast
    on the shell (as root), and then go to Software -> Software Management. There you should see a search button where you can search for the desired package.