ISPConfig 3 with backup system.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by chap, Apr 30, 2009.

1. chap

chap New Member

Hi,
    I think ISPConfig is verygood hosting solution but it has some problems.

1. Slow - Updating the changes is very slow. In the monitor ->show job queue, it takes long time to update.

2. There is no backup system of sites, emails, and settings.

3. Some times myDns stops, so need some control (to start/stop services) from panel.

I hope developers are working on those issue.

Thanks
    Chap

2. oncletom

oncletom New Member

You can easily install backup-manager which is a great piece of software.

You can automate anything you want and backup on a remote server.

3. rauschr

rauschr New Member

Whitch folders have to I backup for recovery?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

If you want to recover the whole server, you should back up everything.

If you wish to recover by installing a machine from scratch, eg. following a Perfect Server guide, then restoring ISPConfig data and client data, unless I'm missing something, the list of things to backup would be:
    • Standard config and data folders: /etc /var/vmail /var/www /usr/local/ispconfig
    • Either backup the folder /var/lib/mysql or (preferably) dump all databases to sql files.
    • You may want /opt backed up if you have extra php versions there, or just reinstall them exactly the same.
    • Check where your dns config/zone files are and see if they're already covered; eg. on our system /etc/bind is a symlink to /var/bind9/chroot/etc/bind, so the latter directory also needs backed up if you have customized anything (if not, you can just resync zone files after restoring ispconfig data and it will recreate them).
    • On our servers, there are always custom scripts/jobs running; the cronjobs themselves are usually under /etc/cron* (though you might backup /var/spool/cron to be safe), and the scripts are normally under /usr/local/sbin, but you might add /usr/local/bin and/or verify what cronjobs you have running if you have created any manually.
    The restoration of such a backup is not a simple "put everything back in the same place", as some things (particularly config files like /etc/passwd and other things under /etc) would need to be manually merged. Most server config will be under /etc, so customizations to mysql or apache will be backed up, but you will have to find those and put them in place on your new server.

rauschr and ahrasis like this.
  5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just a short note, the above feature request is outdated as ISPConfig has a backup system for web, mail and databases and also mydns is not used anymore for many years.

See the comment from @Jesse Norell for a partial retsore. Personally, I can recommend doing a full backup e.g. by using duplicity. But any other Linux system backup solution will work as well as a full system backup is not ispconfig specific.

rauschr likes this.