How to disable stats folder creation in web

Discussion in 'General' started by gkovacs, Aug 9, 2018.

1. gkovacs

gkovacs Member

We are using git to keep websites updated that are managed under ISPConfig, and git needs an empty web/ folder to run without errors. Unfortunately, ISPConfig recreates the web/stats/ folder every time the site configuration is updated, even though we set the web statistics program to "None" under the site statistics tab.

Is there any way to effectively disable the automatic recreation of the stats/ folder (especially when it's not even being used)? I would hate to create a cronjob for this...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is your ISPConfig up to date, 3.1.12?

3. gkovacs

gkovacs Member

I'm not sure how to check ISPConfig version (monitor page says 3.1dev), but I have just updated ISPConfig with the ispconfig_update.sh script to make sure we are running the latest stable version.

4. till

Does the folder still get recreated after you did that update? I thought we addressed that issue already in one of the last few updates.

5. gkovacs

gkovacs Member

Yes, unfortunately the latest ISPConfig stable (version 3.1.12) still recreates the stats/ folder inside web, regardless of the webstatistics program setting set to "None". Please fix this if possible!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. till

Ok, then I'll have a look at this for the next release.

7. gkovacs

gkovacs Member

I have just updated ISPConfig to 3.1.13 today, unfortunately the stats folder is still recreated every time I update a website, regardless of the webstatistics program setting set to "None". Is there anything else I need to do to prevent this folder from being created inside web?

Can we expect this issue to be solved in the near future, or should we find another solution?

8. gkovacs

gkovacs Member

Hey @till , is this going to get fixed sometime?

9. Hbod

Hbod Member

Hi @till, also would like to bump once again on this issue. Any chance this getting fixed?

10. till

Tested this again today with current git-stable version and the stats directory does not get created again by ispconfig when you remove it and web statistics program is set to none. So it works as it should and nothing need to be fixed.

You can test it like this:

1) Create a website in ispconfig.
    2) Set web statistics program to none on the stats tab.
    3) delete the stats folder of the site.
    4) do any other changes which updates the website likes enabling cgi, changing quota or something similar. wait a minute and check the website folder structure, as you can see, the stats folder does not get created again by ispconfig when stats program is set to none.

11. Hbod

Hbod Member

I also tested and the issue still exists. The installation of this whole new server is 1 hour ago. The issue is reproducable: when you initially created a website with activated stats and deactivate it afterwards, it keeps recreating the folder. @till

Edit: its a subdomain vHost btw, might be a difference there

12. Hbod

Hbod Member

@till just deleted the folder with ROOT (as I couldn't delete it with the normal user/jailkit ssh user). After delete I changed PHP version, et voila, stats folder is back there.

So my system:

Debian 9
    Its a vHost subdomain, naked setup just finished 1 hour ago
    Stats for this subdomain set to none
    newest ISPConfig stable
    Jailkit active (defaults)

EDIT:
    i disabled stats also for the main domain (out of curiosity) and the folder still gets recreated. I'll try it on non subdomains now

Edit again:
    also does not work for me on the main domain

13. till

Just a guess, you missed disabling the stats for the website then. Go to the settings of the website where the vhost subdomain belongs to, ensure that you set statistics to none, delete the stats folder and test again.

14. Hbod

Hbod Member

I did this exactly. Same, issue still exist.

15. till

Your issue is not reproducible on a fresh installed Debian 9 or Ubuntu 18.04 system, tested apache and nginx. Neither with website nor vhost subdomain. If you look at the ispconfig code, then you can see that the folder can not be created when stats is disabled.

Just a guess, you did not use git-stable (see post #10). Because 3.1.13p1 is not git-stable. Update your system to git-stable with ispconfig_update.sh command.

16. Hbod

Hbod Member

17. Hbod

Hbod Member

@till I can confirm: running the update script and selecting "git-stable" (which is now shown as "3.1dev") fixed the issue. Is git-stable productive ready? Or should I change back?

18. till

Git stable is the last version plus patches and I told you that I tested against that version and that's the version that all official install guides use. The autoinstaller is not from ispconfig, so I can not tell you which version it installs. When we finished an ISPConfig version, then it gets released. I explicitly told you which version has been used for my tests and when you use a different older version, then you might still have the issue. I do not consider git stable, I consider git-stable to be stable while git master is not stable. There is a huge difference between git-master (dev code from 3.2 branch) and git-stable (3.1.13p1 plus patches from upcoming 3.1.14). Yes, you can use git-stable in production as we recommend in the official install guides.

19. Hbod

Hbod Member

sorry, but as a non heavy user of this forum, the terminology git-stable didn’t trigger anything to me, as „stable“ was the only thing my brain accepted and I had a stable release installed, while „3.1dev“ is dev and not stable (even though you call it git-stable). Your last message clarified this, but your response to this seems a bit harsh. I would consider a wording like git-next or ispconfig-next to make it more clear to users, what you mean.

I didn’t even know about the existence of an git-stable.

Anyway. Thanks!

20. till

I'm sorry if I was a bit too harsh. I actually spend quite some time to test things again which had been fixed already and that's the things that cause the delays in getting ISPConfig releases out.