Config for mySQL 8 and ispconfig3

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by AaronKN, Oct 7, 2018.

1. AaronKN

AaronKN New Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Have you installed mysql completely? Where did you get mysql 8, I did not know version numbers go that high.
    Check mysql is running. See logs to find out why client can not connect. Compare your settings to the settings in the guide you used.
    It might have been easier to just follow the guide, then the system works.

3. AaronKN

AaronKN New Member

Yes MySQL is installed completely. I got MySQL from MySQL.com. Yes, MySQL 8 has been out for some time now. MySQL service (mysqld) is running, and I am able to use the service at command line. The MySQL error.log looks clean, starting and stopping when it's supposed to, at shutdown/reboot. Does mention the self signed SSL cert that the tutorial says to install...Why that cert isn't from let's encrypt is curious. Ispconfig3 is returning the error, not MySQL having an error. Root connections from remote are disallowed, but that's a standard security setting. So, why does the tutorial specify mariaDB? Is ispconfig3 non-compatible with MySQL 8? That would be a bad thing. MySQL 8 is very fast according to benchmark testing. I want fast. From everything I've read mariaDB is a bad fork of MySQL...

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig works fine with MySQL and MariaDB, but we test the versions that ship with the Linux Distributions and not the ones that are provided by Oracle and I don't think that we tested the software with MySQL 8 though, might be that oracle introduced something wgich makes MySQL 8 incompatible with MySQL 7 (which we do support). The tutorial uses MariaDB as Ubuntu has chosen MariaDB as the default MySQL compatible database system for the Ubuntu Distribution.

Then you must have read something different than everything else who works with OpenSource software ;)

5. AaronKN

AaronKN New Member

Hmm...
    Or, maybe my research is more recent than yours...
    Incompatibilities between MySQL and MariaDB
    MariaDB’s documentation lists hundreds of incompatibilities between MySQL and MariaDB databases, in different versions. The main conclusion from this documentation is that you can’t rely on an easy migration from one database type to another.

Most database administrators hoped that MariaDB will be kept as a branch of MySQL, so it will be very easy to migrate between the two. For the last few versions, that’s not the case anymore. For a long time now, MariaDB is actually a fork of MySQL, which means you need to put some thought when you migrate from one to another.

Source: EverSQL

It appears that mariaDB is also much slower in benchmarks than MySQL 8. Why should I downgrade performance just to support software that isn't keeping up with current database technologies? I'd rather build out a new branch of an open source control panel that can support the newer database technology. That seems more logical.

Thank you for the insight that lead to confirming this incompatibility.

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Of course, there are incompatibilities in some special functions, but that's not a sign of a bad fork, it's just a sign of active development in MySQL and MariaDB. And of course, all Linux distributions might be wrong by choosing the MySQL replacement from the original MySQL inventor over the one from Oracle. We are developing a Control Panel for professional users which prefer stability and LTS versions so we go with the versions offered by the Linux distributions to ensure smooth upgrades and long time availability plus compatibility with as many CMS and websites as possible.

Neither I nor @Taleman confirmed an incompatibility here nor did we say that ISPConfig is not supporting MySQL. ISPConfig works fine with MySQL, I installed it a few weeks ago and it worked without issues, but we always go with the versions of the Linux distributors as stability is important for us and for most hosting providers, so it might be that Oracle added something in its bleeding edge releases that break downwards compatibility with older versions of their own software which then causes other software that uses MySQl to fail.

I'll add a request to our bug tracker to test MySQL 8 to see if there have been any incompatibilities introduced by Oracle in the latest version where ISPConfig needs to work around.