email delivered locally when domain is no longer local

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Larry Rider, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Larry Rider

Larry Rider New Member

Hello to all.

I have a ISPCONFIG 3.1 multi-server setup.
    server1.domain.com: master + web-server + primary-dns-server
    server2.domain.com: email-server + secondary-dns-server (hosts "domain.com" mail server)

I created and added a third server

server3.domain.com: email-server

I have "moved" the domain "domain.com" from "server2.domain.com" to "server3.domain.com" and it is working fine except for emails "originated" by domains who's mail-server is server2.domain.com. This last ones are delivered locally on server2.domain.com and never arrive to server3.domain.com.

What I want is for the email to be delivered to server3.domain.com which is the new email server for "domain.com"

Log output:
    Oct 28 17:59:15 akra02 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=5186, secured, session=<7iM6EFF5kAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>
    Oct 28 17:59:15 akra02 dovecot: imap([email protected]): Disconnected: Logged out in=436 out=568
    Oct 28 17:59:15 akra02 dovecot: lda([email protected]): msgid=<[email protected]>: saved mail to INBOX
    Oct 28 17:59:15 akra02 postfix/pipe[5192]: 4F6A0A2CDF: to=<[email protected]>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.03, delays=0/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via dovecot service)
    Oct 28 17:59:15 akra02 dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=::1, lip=::1, mpid=5195, secured, session=<xoFEEFF5sgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>

Any ideas?

Thank you....Larry.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The domain must still be in the configuration on server2. How did you 'move' that domain? I guess the domain is still in the mysql database of server 2 and probably the mailboxes and aliases / forwards as well.

3. Larry Rider

Larry Rider New Member

I searched on the dbispconfig tables and updated the "server_id" field to the new server on the affected domain records, executed a "sync" in all servers, and also I "rsync'ed" the /var/vmail/domain.com directory to the new server.
    I believe I updated all the tables, maybe I left a table without update. Is there a way to know all the tables that use the "server_id" columns to review if all are updated?
    Or is there a way to know from where does "dovecot" decide that the domain is local and not remote?
    As I said, I think a reviewed all tables, but I may have left something un-updated.....

4. till

Changing server_id on server1 to 3 and then doing a resync will not alter any records on server 2, basically ispconfig master is not aware that these records are on server 2 as, so they still exist there and will catch any incoming email. You will have to delete them from server 2 to fix that.

5. Larry Rider

Larry Rider New Member

Ok. I thought that by updating the master server dbispconfig database, it was being "replicated" to the other servers. So If I have 3 servers and change one email-domain to be controlled by a different server, just by updating the master database and "sync'ing" all the servers was enough.
    Now I now that it is not.
    Another question is, if it would, moving "services" across ispconfig servers would be simple and I think that it is a very powerfull feature.
    I have updated/deleted the records on the server2.domain.com to reflect the changes done on the master and now it works perfect.
    Thank's Till for the update.

6. till

I'm working on a tool (ISPConfig plugin) for that which will become part of the Migration toolkit.

7. Larry Rider

Larry Rider New Member

Excellent. Those are good news.