using maildir++ quota with dovecot

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by jacousi, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jacousi

jacousi New Member

Hi every body. I'm deploying a mail server with postfix and dovecot and i want to monitore disk space used by user's mailbox. My problem is that i don't know how to use maildir to get quota for a particular mailbox. I don't know how to make dovecot work with maildir++ quota. Can you pliz help me??? I'm looking for solutions since last week but nothing!

2. neil6179

neil6179 New Member

I seem to remember there being a guide on how to do this on the Dovecot website.

Below are some extracts from my dovecot.con file.
    Add the lines into the relevant section and you should have quota support.
    You will also need to make sure Postfix has MailDir quota support.

protocol imap {
    mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
    }

protocol pop3 {
    mail_plugins = quota
    }

plugin {
    quota = maildir
    }

Neil

3. jacousi

jacousi New Member

Thanks!
    I have already added these lines into my dovecot.conf file. When I execute GETQUOTAROOT INBOX i have this answer

Request:
    GETQUOTAROOT INBOX.Sent
    Response:
    * QUOTAROOT "INBOX.Sent" ""
    * QUOTA "" ()
    OK Getquotaroot completed.

But I can't see the quota!!!! How can I verify that postfix has Maildir support? I'm using Postfix-2.2.9. And if postfix doesn't support Maildir how can i apply it to him?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Run
    Code:
    postconf -e 'home_mailbox = Maildir/'
    postconf -e 'mailbox_command ='
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart

5. jacousi

jacousi New Member

Thanks Falko! But i was talking about Maildir quota support! I'm asking myself if postfix need maildir quota support? I still have problem with dovecot and maildir quota!!!

6. neil6179

neil6179 New Member

Below is my method to apply Quota support to Postfix 2.2.10 in Debian.

This is based on the Falko tutorial at: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier

You should be able to tweek it to work with 2.2.9.

Code:
    apt-get install build-essential dpkg-dev fakeroot
    apt-get install debhelper po-debconf dpatch lsb-release libdb4.3-dev libgdbm-dev libldap2-dev libpcre3-dev libmysqlclient15-dev libssl-dev libsasl2-dev libpq-dev
    cd /usr/src
    apt-get source postfix
    wget http://web.onda.com.br/nadal/postfix/VDA/postfix-2.2.10-vda.patch.gz
    gunzip postfix-2.2.10-vda.patch.gz
    cd postfix-2.2.10
    patch -p1 < ../postfix-2.2.10-vda.patch
    dpkg-buildpackage
    cd ..

dpkg -i postfix_2.2.10-2_i386.deb
    dpkg -i postfix-mysql_2.2.10-2_i386.deb

Neil

7. jacousi

jacousi New Member

This Howto is talking about virtual mailbox but I use Unix-account instead of virtual domain and virtual mailboxes. It's explain how to apply quota on virtual mailboxes and so it's doesn't work with my configurations. Thanks neil. Your help is very significant to me! I will continue to look for others solutions and propositions. By now I still have problems!!!!:mad:

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Neil's solution applies the quota patch to Postfix. You don't need postfix-mysql because you don't have virtual users, but apart from that this is what you need.

9. jacousi

jacousi New Member

Now It's work fine!!! Into my dovecot.conf file I added this line quota = maildir:storage=102400. So now when I start squirrelmail I see the quota bar!!!
    Thanks very much for your help Neil and Falko!!