backscatter with email Domain Alias

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by MasteRTriX, Jan 2, 2015.

1. MasteRTriX

MasteRTriX Member

Hi, I know I've read about this sometime ago but can't find the topic anywhere.

I have a small issue,
    In latest ispconfig I setup a domain and some mailboxes.
    Then add an alias domain.

The problem is, that if I telnet to server port 25 and try to send an email to inexistent account, using the domain of the account the mail isn't accepted by the mailserver, but if I use the virtual domain, email gets accepted, and later generating a bounce email.
    This is giving me some headache with several backscatter emails.

Is there a workaround for this?

mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf
    Code:
    user = ispconfig
    password = *******************
    dbname = dbispconfig
    table = mail_forwarding
    select_field = destination
    where_field = source
    additional_conditions = and active = 'y' and server_id = 1
    hosts = 127.0.0.1

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Personally I use email aliases instead of domain aliases for that reason.

3. Svethi

Svethi New Member

Hello Till,
    I have read this old post because we he have the same problem.
    In your actual forwarding.cf you have deactivated the aliasdomain type filter. In this case the mailserver can be used as backscatter server. I try to activate the type filter so no mail for the alias domains will be accepted.

Now I have created my own mysql table mappings. First I have changed forwarding.cf for ignoring aliasdomains but handle catchall purposes. Than l have created another map for testing the existence of the mailbox in the destination domain. I have linked the maps in the main.cf and also added the reject unknown clients in the client restrictions.
    For the postfix I can’t find a template. I only found a php script. What about updates? How can I save for updates with this custom settings? For my MySQL maps I’ve used new files, but what about the main.cf?

Greetings Sven

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sven, it sounds like you're creating generic logic that would be appropriate for all installations, correct? Once you have working config, please consider submitting an rfe in the bug tracker (https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/issues/new) showing your changes, or even a merge request if you're up for that.