Postfix Spam Filter using Ubuntu Dapper, MailScanner and ClamAV...Where is the rest?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by mp3geek, Jul 28, 2006.

1. mp3geek

mp3geek New Member

Hi, I just found the howto for using Ubuntu for an email anti-spam gateway and it says it uses MailScanner instead of Amavisd. However, it has a bunch of Amavisd references and no mention of installing or configuring MailScanner and it just kinda quits after page 4. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. H8LinuxLOL

H8LinuxLOL New Member

apparently nobody pays attention to what they put-out in the how-to, i also had the same problem and i started a thread earlier today with the same problem, and i got no answer...what i did was...on page 1 like at the vary top there is also a how-to that says it is similar and i used that link to install amavis and i followed that how-to after i did the "how-to" on here and was wondering where the install for amavis was, where was mailscanner and where did i create the "amavis" users and groups...i followed the other one and everything work like a charm...it seems that all "howtoforge" needs to do is add the "install amavis" section right before you install pyzor, and all of the other stuff...just start off on the other "how-to" (http://www200.pair.com/mecham/spam/spamfilter20050628.html) from the install amavis part and you will see that is practically the same thing as the one on here

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Well, if someone posts a tutorial here, we check for the formatting and fly over it, but we don't test the tutorial on our own hardware again because that'd take a lot of time that we don't have. We (Till and Falko) test our own tutorials thoroughly, but not the tutorials of other authors because this is something the author is responsible for. If you want to ask the auther, PM me and I'll send you his email address.

4. H8LinuxLOL

H8LinuxLOL New Member

wasabi

yeah, your rite, but ya still didn't answer the dudes question

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Because I didn't write that tutorial, so I can't be of much help here.

@mp3geek: What's the exact problem you have right now? Any error messages, etc.?

6. fdalmoro

fdalmoro New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hey, Sorry about the troubles it's caused... I needed some help finishing it up and thought this was more like Wiki so I posted it before finishing it.

It is an amavisd-new+postfix+debian install that I want to change to MailScanner+postfix+ubuntu install. The Postfix and Ubuntu parts are easy, it's getting MailScanner and MailScanner-MRTG working properly that are difficult.

If you're looking for an amavids-new install, this is not it. Follow the link in the howto for the howto that I'm trying to modify to use MailScanner.

I finally got all of the kinks worked out of a box that is in production with about 15 domains and man handling about 300K messages of spam every day.

I will try to put some hours into updating the HowTo next week.

It's good to see that people are interested in the HowTo tho.

Thanks