ftp not working after ispconfig update

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by luckyluk3, Feb 19, 2019.

1. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

Hi, I updated ispconfig using these commands:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/ISPConfig-3.1.13p1.tar.gz
    tar xvfz ISPConfig-3.1.13p1.tar.gz
    cd ispconfig3_install/install
    php -q update.php
    I said yes to reconfigure services. Everything else default. After this the FTP no longer works. I cant make connections, it also says offline in the ispconfig panel. I tried digging around in the log files but couldn't find anything. The thing I do know is that the ftp daemon is not listening on port 21, but I dont know why. And have no idea how I would need to troubleshoot this.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which Linux distribution? Did you configure anything manually in the FTP server setup before which might got lost with the update?

3. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

I'm using debian 9. No manual changes that I know of. I also found out it removed the ssl certs for the webmail and phpmyadmin. Currently also fixing those...

4. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

I'm also getting this error in the syslog after the update
    Code:
    dovecot: auth: Fatal: Unknown database driver 'mysql'
    EDIT: seems to be fixed with `install dovecot-mysql`

5. till

Are you sure that you just installed the ispconfig update and nothing else? The dovecot mysql driver cannot be uninstalled by the update. Install it again with:

apt-get install dovecot-mysql

You probably edited config files manually and missed to make your changes update-safe by modifying the master templates of the files you edited and storing the mster templates in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/install/

6. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

The only thing I did was update the panel, yesterday I got a green box in the ispconfig status page. Could it be possible that a system or kernel update did this. Anyway I messed up a lot of stuff now. This was a test server to experiment and learn. Was hoping to find a solution but will probably do a clean reinstall tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

7. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

I ran mysql_upgrade and that fixed a phpmyadmin issue. I now get this error in the syslog when trying to start pure-ftpd-mysql.
    Code:
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 systemd[1]: Starting pure-ftpd-mysql.service...
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 pure-ftpd-mysql[4085]: Starting ftp server: Running: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot -l mysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/db/mysql.conf -l pam -b -A -u 1000 -P ***.***.***.*** -p 40110:40210 -O clf:/var/log/pure-ftpd/transfer.log -Y 1 -8 UTF-8 -J HIGH -D -E -d -H -B
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 pure-ftpd-mysql[4085]: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot: relocation error: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot: symbol my_make_scrambled_password, version libmariadbclient_18 not defined in file libmariadbclient.so.18 with link time reference
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 systemd[1]: pure-ftpd-mysql.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=127
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 systemd[1]: Failed to start pure-ftpd-mysql.service.
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 systemd[1]: pure-ftpd-mysql.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Feb 19 23:41:27 server1 systemd[1]: pure-ftpd-mysql.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

The pure-ftp error points to a bad update of system packages, the mysql library your ftpd was built with is incompatible with your current mariadb client library. Maybe try 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and see if it offers an upgrade of one or the other.

9. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

Nope, nothing to upgrade. I tried to build it from source and that worked. The service starts. But it's still not listening on port 21. Can't find any errors. Is there something I could have missed?

10. till

Did you maybe install a mysql or mariadb package from a third party server and not the standard one? This could explain why so many mysql related things are broken or packages like dovecot-mysql were removed. But all this is not related to the ispconfig update that you did, maybe you did not notice them before because services were not restarted for a long time though.

11. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

I did install https://pterodactyl.io/panel/getting_started.html#dependencies
    I ran these 2 commands but that gave me errors when trying to install new packages so I removed them:
    Code:
    add-apt-repository -y ppa:chris-lea/redis-server
    curl -sS https://downloads.mariadb.com/MariaDB/mariadb_repo_setup | sudo bash
    So yes it might be possible that I installed a newer or wrong version of mariadb. I did try to google on how to downgrade a mariadb version but couldn't find anyhting usefull. I got everything running like it was before. Except that ftp is still not listening on port 21. The service pure-ftpd-mysql started and is running. Could it have something to do with FTP tls being enabled?

12. till

The MariaDB install that you did is probably the reason for the issues. Its installation probably removed some other packages that use mysql. Regarding FTP, ensure that you have pure-ftpd-mysql installed:

apt-get install pure-ftpd-mysql

maybe the mariadb package removed that as well.

13. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

When running `apt-get install pure-ftpd-mysql`
    https://hastebin.com/nacajexolo.sql
    After that restarting pure-ftpd-mysql with `pure-ftpd-mysql`
    Code:
    Job for pure-ftpd-mysql.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status pure-ftpd-mysql.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
    Code:
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 systemd[1]: Starting pure-ftpd-mysql.service...
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 pure-ftpd-mysql[4401]: Starting ftp server: Running: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot -l mysql:/etc/pure-ftpd/db/mysql.conf -l pam -b -A -u 1000 -O clf:/var/log/pure-ftpd/transfer.log -Y 0 -8 UTF-8 -J HIGH -D -E -d -H -B
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 pure-ftpd-mysql[4401]: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot: relocation error: /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-mysql-virtualchroot: symbol my_make_scrambled_password, version libmariadbclient_18 not defined in file libmariadbclient.so.18 with link time reference
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 systemd[1]: pure-ftpd-mysql.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=127
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 systemd[1]: Failed to start pure-ftpd-mysql.service.
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 systemd[1]: pure-ftpd-mysql.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Feb 20 09:48:18 server1 systemd[1]: pure-ftpd-mysql.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

14. till

Ok, so the pure-ftpd-mysql packages was not installed anymore. Seems as if pure-ftpd-mysql is incompatible with the installed mariadb library "
    symbol my_make_scrambled_password, version libmariadbclient_18 not defined in file libmariadbclient.so.18 with link time reference".

15. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

Yes that seems right, would it be better to install a newer version of pure-ftpd-mysql or to downgrade mariadb-server?

16. till

Using the MariaDB version that ships with Ubuntu is always the best choice to get a stable system. If the software that you are using is compatible with it, then I would downgrade MariaDB.

17. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

Is there a guide or article you would recommend on how to downgrade the mariadb-server? I'm using debian 9 stretch.

18. till

I'm not aware of such a guide. In any case, ensure that you do a backup of all databases first with e.g. mysqldump as it might be that MariaDB updated the file format of the database files so they might not work with an older version anymore.

19. luckyluk3

luckyluk3 New Member

psyray and ahrasis like this.
  20. psyray

psyray New Member

luckyluk3 likes this.