Use different ip for nameserver and web server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by adrex9815, Apr 16, 2019.

1. adrex9815

adrex9815 New Member

Hi,
    Im trying to configure that my multiserver ispconfig uses a different Ip for the name servers and another ip for the web server. So that the Ip of the name server is just for that and the same for the other. But I cant make work..

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A different IP for nameserver and web server is used in the multiserver guides, two servers can't even use the same IP. Take a look at the multiserver installation guides on how to setup an ISPConfig multiserver system.

3. adrex9815

adrex9815 New Member

Hi,

I read the manual but t doesnt show what I need.

For example domain.tld is pointing to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com (there are my own name server) with an ip xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and .2 but I want that the domain.tld uses ip bbb.bbb.bbb.1 for port 80 and webserver services. With the objective of seperating the nameservers and web server.

Thanks

4. till

As I said, what you try to do is the default that is used on any setup that consists of more than one server. Just set the II of the web server in the DNS A-Record of the domain and in the A-Record of the www subdomain. You might want to make yourself a bit more familiar with the Internet DNS system as that's all not ISPConfig specific to learn what the different DNS records are used for. A good starting point is this tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/setting-up-your-own-name-service-with-ispconfig/

5. adrex9815

adrex9815 New Member

Sorry for not understanding. But i got a bit confused,

Right now my nameservers are working I have 3 public ips wich to of them are working like name servers. The problem is that I want for the third Ip to be only for the sites. For example, when you PING ns1.bluehost.com it shows one ip but when I PING a domain that has those nameservers it shows me another ip. I want the same when I ping to my nameservers ip different when I ping the domain. In other worda I want to seperate both of the services.

Thanks

6. till

What does ping do, it looks up the IP address for the name that you passed to ping in DNS. This means that you can simply set the IP address that you want to be returned for a specific name in DNS. So you want to get the third IP returned for the domain name? Then change the DNS record for that domain name to point to the third IP address and don't change the IP address for the nameserver subdomains as you want to keep them as they are now, if I understand you correctly.

7. adrex9815

adrex9815 New Member

Ok I modified the record of the domain in ISPCONFIG A->ip it works but now it doesnt show the ispconfig page site it show apache default page.. Im really frustrated.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

What do you have set for the IP address of this website?

9. adrex9815

adrex9815 New Member

I have to nameservers
    ns1.test.com --> xxx.xxx.xxx.1
    ns2.test.com --> xxx.xxx.xxx.2

The domaain.com have both NS added and working, but I want the domain to enter via the public IP bbb.bbb.bbb.bbb and not to use the nameservers IP to login.

In the domain I have de "*" configured, but it shows me the apache page...

Thanks

10. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

'*' as the website ip address should be fine, but something else like a default website could be matching more specifically; what does 'apachectl -S' show ?

11. adrex9815

adrex9815 New Member

Hi,
    I made it work it was an error configuration.
    Thanks