Can't Receive Mail Using ISPConfig 3.1 on Ubuntu 18.04 Server

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Patrick Lindsey, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Patrick Lindsey

Patrick Lindsey New Member

server.patricktoday.org or server1.patricktoday.org? Does it matter?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It does not matter, use what you prefer. Just be consistent in all places.

Patrick Lindsey likes this.
  3. Patrick Lindsey

hostname is just patricktoday should I change that to server.patricktoday.org ?

4. Patrick Lindsey

In hosts it is not listed at all...

5. Patrick Lindsey

hostname = patricktoday do I change this?
    mailname changed from patricktoday.org to server.patricktoday.org
    host have no listing of patricktoday.org at all
    main.cf is blank...
    all I changed was mailname so far... Change anything else before I restart the server?

6. Patrick Lindsey

I am not opposed to starting with a fresh install of Ubuntu and ISPConfig... would this be a good idea? Any pointers along the way if I go this route? The reason I think this may be the way to go is because a friend tried helping me with the not being able to receive mail problem and apparently made changes to the server. I think it would be smart to start clean, since he did not put things back the way they were.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's not easy to answer. The reason for the mail issue were just two minor glitches, the first one was that you missed removing the # in the submission line and the second one was the use of a wrong server hostname. All other changes that your friend might have made to the setup need to be undone.

/etc/postfix/main.cf shall not be empty, please double check that you did not have a typo in the path or filename when you try editing it.

8. Patrick Lindsey

I did a fresh install of both Ubuntu and ISPConfig (used the install script from github). When asked "do you want to update the hostname?": I said yes and changed the host name to server.patricktoday.org. The script added patricktoday.org instead to the
    /etc/mailname
    /etc/postfix/main.cf
    files during installation...
    I changed those as suggested and removed the # as suggested. I am happy to report I can now both send and receive mail from the server. Thank you so much! You were a wonderful guide =)

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    till likes this.
  9. Patrick Lindsey

I am actually going to test whether or not the server can still send...

10. Patrick Lindsey

It sends too. The messages end up in spam... Thank you again.