FTP root

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by edi00, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edi00

edi00 Member

Hi guys,

Is it possible to configure FTP so I can access all folders rather than one site only.
    if so.... how?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, thats not possible for a simple resaon. Every website runs under its own linux user and even if you would be able to access all of them by FTP, the uploaded files would be owned by the wrong user.

The only way to access all folders with one user is to use the root user and a scp client like winscp. But be aware that you have to change the owner of every uploaded file to the user and group of the website on the shell afterwards.

3. Zador

Zador New Member

Hi, there should by way for do it. I need move files and folders from server to server, all have ispconfig ubuntu structure [webs, emails, DBs].
    I create normal ftp user by ispconfig, there in mysql DB find his line in ftp_user table, and change dir to /var
    Now i can see all VAR folders and subfolders with this user in filezilla, by cannot read files.
    There is way for change UID and GID for this FTP user? Where in system are permissions and privileges for ftp users?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Post #2 explains why it is not possible and how to achieve what you want to do, there has nothing changed in the past 9 years. I'll close this topic now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.