Alternatives to secondary DNS server if no aditional static IP available

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino Carpanetti D., Nov 5, 2019.

1. Gino Carpanetti D.

Gino Carpanetti D. New Member

Hello everyone.
    I was hoping that someone could help me with this:
    I have one public IP and i'm installing IPSConfig3 over Debian. I'm planning to use it as DNS server also but i don't have a secondary static ip address.
    I sucessfully conigured ISPConfig ad primary and secondary namerserver but at that time i had access to many public IP's, now i have only one.
    I don't know if there are some free service to use as secondary DNS server, like Godaddy or something.
    i can also (but not convinced) use a VM that i have under other static IP under NAT and redirect only the ports used by the secondary nameserver.
    Thanks everyone and i hope that if there is a solution it can help others.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you can often configure DNS right at your domain registrar. Likely that will be your only DNS nameservers then, and you wouldn't configure DNS within ISPConfig at all.

I'm not 100% clear on the the setup here, but indeed, if you have another static ip and can intercept port 53 traffic and forward it to your ISPConfig server, that could work as a second nameserver.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    free service to use as secondary DNS server
    do find them. At least https://www.frankb.us/dns/ looks promising.

4. Gino Carpanetti D.

Gino Carpanetti D. New Member

Thanks for your answers.
    If is userful for someone, what i did (mostly to learn something new) was to creat a Debian VM inside virtualbox under NAT. I configured it to be secondary DNS an i used port redirect just for MySQL and DNS (3306 and 53). I pointed everything to the static ip of the machine where virtualbox is installed and it worked.
    Good bye.