Moving from pop3 to imap email

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by betafer, Nov 25, 2019.

1. betafer

betafer Member

Hello,
    how i have to do for moving from my pop3 account to imap keeping the emails that i have in thunderbird ? (ISPConfig 3.1.15p2)
    I'm not able to find any good tutorial
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The easiest way might be this when you have the emails stored locally in your mail client:

1) take care you have a backup of your desktop OS inkl data or at least of the data of your mail client.
    2) switch the mailbox to imap mode in the mail client, this should make it available as separate folder tree beside your local folders (at least that's the case in Thunderbird which I use)
    3) Now drag&drop the local mail folders to the imap folder tree, this should move the mails back to the server. But be aware, start with a small folder to see if it works and it may take quite a bit of time to re-upload all your emails.

3. betafer

betafer Member

Ok, thanks, now i try, i have 10Gb ....

4. betafer

betafer Member

Thanks, it works ! Now i have to wait :)

till likes this.
  5. betafer

betafer Member

Done ! More than a week for complete, thunderbird takes a lot of time to move mails, and also have to move less than 2000 mails at once because with more it crashes, in the process it creates lots of duplicates i think caused by crash (sometimes happens with small number of mail) luckily i found this extension https://addons.thunderbird.net/it/thunderbird/addon/remove-duplicate-messages-alte/
    that works well !