Server Config fields erased after changing Blackhole List field

Discussion in 'General' started by fluidmindorg, Dec 11, 2019.

1. fluidmindorg

fluidmindorg New Member

Hi all.
    I have a new installation of ISPConfig 3.1.15 on Debian 10. I just modified the "Real-time Blackhole List" field in Server Config -> Mail from just "zen.spamhaus.org" (which was the default) to the following: "zen.spamhaus.org,b.barracudacentral.org,psbl.surriel.com". After clicking Save, I noticed that the "reject_rbl_client" option in main.cf was removed entirely. When I went back to the Server Config -> Mail form, not only was the Blackhole List field empty, but all the other text fields had been erased as well. When I tried to put "zen.spamhaus.org" back into the Blackhole List field and save it, I got the following error message:
    1. Maildir Path is empty.
      Invalid maildir path.
      Homedir Path is empty.
      Invalid homedir path.
      Mailuser uid must be >= 2000
      Mailuser gid must be >= 2000
      Mailuser Name is empty.
      Invalid mailuser name.
      Mailuser Group is empty.
      Invalid mailuser group name.
      Uid-mapping cannot be changed if there are already mail users.
    Any thoughts on where I can start to figure out what happened?
    And is there a screenshot somewhere that shows the default values of those fields for a new installation?

Thanks a lot.
    --Dan

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It sounds like the server config got saved bad/corrupted. I've never seen that when using the actual ISPConfig interface offhand, but have had it happen when using phpmyadmin. FWIW, the config is saved as ini-style formatted text in the servers.config column (and don't edit it with phpymyadmin's inline editor - you can safely edit the whole row by clicking the edit link (at the left, iirc)).

If you have a backup of that database it might be easier to just grab the value from that. If you have updated ISPConfig recently and answered 'yes' to backup the config first, you will have such a backup as of that time under /var/backup/. If you have automysqlbackup installed, check /var/lib/automysqlbackup/daily/.

This is what I have (the last few which didn't fit my screen are probably obvious...), and close to the defaults.

Attached Files:

3. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

You probably can't use it that way. If you need the additional blacklists, I would suggest to add them manually. You need "reject_rbl_client" for each blacklist:
    Code:
                   reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
                   reject_rbl_client psbl.surriel.com,
                   reject_rbl_client b.barracudacentral.org,
                   reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
                   reject_rbl_client dnsbl.sorbs.net,
                   reject_rbl_client cbl.abuseat.org,
                   reject_rbl_client dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The way he entered the data is fine, it works like this. The reason for his issue is probably a corruption of the config data field in the database.

5. elmacus

elmacus Active Member

Barracudacentral sucks according to my experience.
    One problem is that they dont remove blocked servers automatically after 48 hours when i used them. You had to manually request removal, UGH. Might have changed since i last used them or was blocked by them.
    Sorry for disturbing the thread.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  6. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

Wow, didn't know that. Although I never used it, the reasons to maintain my own main.cf are getting less ;)
    [edit] Actually, I should read the manual more carefully, it is indeed described on page 280 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. fluidmindorg

fluidmindorg New Member

Thanks everyone! After seeing a comment in another post about the "Show Data Log History" monitor, I looked through that and found the "server" config update where it had erased everything—and it had, indeed, erased EVERYTHING under the [mail] section. I have no idea why or how it did that. I can only assume it was some strange anomaly. Anyhoo, I clicked the "Undo action" button and all that was restored. [Whoever implemented that log and the "Undo action" button, THANK YOU! That's just brilliant.] After that, I was able to add ",b.barracudacentral.org,psbl.surriel.com" to the Blackhole List field and it added them to main.cf just fine.

Thanks for your thoughts on b.barracudacentral.org, @elmacus . I'll have to look into that. I've been using it on my current mail server (from which I'm planning to migrate to this new ISPConfig server) for several years now and it has been working well in blocking quite a bit of spam. Last month it blocked about 3900 messages and psbl.surriel.com blocked about 3700.

One thing that would be helpful in this form would be a field for Right-Hand Side Block Lists (RHSBLs) to list entries for the postfix "reject_rhsbl_helo", "reject_rhsbl_reverse_client", "reject_rhsbl_sender" options. (DNSBLs (like zen.spamhaus.org) are for IP address lookups, while RHSBLs (like dbl.spamhaus.org) are for domain name lookups.) See "Tip #6" on the following webpage for details: https://www.linuxbabe.com/mail-server/block-email-spam-postfix

Thanks again, everybody!
    —Dan

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That should not happen, can you dig up and post all details you can find relating to this?