Database copy tools in ispconfig

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by betafer, Jan 8, 2020.

1. betafer

betafer Member

it would be interesting that ispconfig had the function to copy one database to another as in plesk

2. betafer

betafer Member

this request is for ispconfig 3 ... ;)

3. Steini86

Steini86 Active Member

I think I don't understand the request. I don't know Plesk, could you explain:
    - What is that option good for?
    - When would someone use that option?
    Do you want to copy the whole database to ... (another user?), Copy contents of the database? Copy the properties of the database?
    I would not think that it is a good idea to implement the functionality of phpmyadmin/adminr into ispconfig, if that is what you are looking for(?)

4. betafer

betafer Member

Hello,
    for example if I have a development site and want to align the database with the production site.

5. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

well, you can already copy a database to another server from the cli:
    mysqldump -u username -p'password' db-name | ssh [email protected] mysql -u username -p'password db-name

but if you're thinking of having it in ispconfig as an easy way to sync databases between dev/staging/production sites. it's not going to be that simple. especially if you use wordpress, firstly siteurl and homeurl in the databases are likely to be different. and if these are different servers, or different subdomains, eg www for live, stage for testing, dev for development, then the folder paths will likely be different, client_id and web_id are also likely to be different and will also be part of the folder paths, and wordpress WILL store all those folder paths in the database, so they will all need changing by something wordpress aware, or with some complicated regex, as the character length is also stored in the db as part of that.