ISPConfig 3 - Mail Domain Alias

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by tetrahedron, Feb 5, 2009.

1. tetrahedron

tetrahedron New Member

I noticed that there's no option for Mail Domain Alias. It's possible to make a catch all for domains, and just have them sent to another domain. However, there's no way to alias email domains; and catch-alls are horrible when it comes to spam.

Peace,
    Kelly Shutt

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I've added this to our bugtracker.

3. syadnom

syadnom New Member

help!

Is there a solution to this? maybe a workaround? I am wanting to deploy ISPconfig3 but I really must have domain aliases to do this. I am hoping to not have to go down to ISPconfig2 as I really like the multiple server management!

Thanks for any help in advance..

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no mail domain alias, but there are the email aliases which you can use to do the same. Just create an alias for every email address of the other domain that you need.

5. syadnom

syadnom New Member

wow

is this an option in ISPconfig2? I have over 600 email accounts, dont really want to build 600 aliases. Also want some canonical mapping which doesnt seem to have an option. suppose the idea is to just do an alias there too which makes 1200 aliases for 600 email accounts. owe...

6. syadnom

syadnom New Member

any body have an idea?

Any idea on how to do this in postfix outside of ispconfig3? something in postfix maybe?

What I'm trying to do is have

my-site.com = mysite.com without doing a per user alias.

does ISPconfig2 do domain aliases?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. syadnom

syadnom New Member

canonical maps?

If I did this with a canonical map that said

@my-domain.com @mydomain.com

Would ISPconfig mess with the canonical file?

in main.cf add
    and in /etc/postfix/canonical add
    and then

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  8. till

9. syadnom

syadnom New Member

some clarification

Till, can you give an example of this? When I read the link I see:

but it is not clear on where or how to make a domain alias, just how to make catch all addresses or virtual aliases to users.

is it as simple as
    /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtualdomains

/etc/postfix/virtualdomains:
    @my-domain.com @mydomain.com

postmap /etc/postfix/virtualdomains

any help would be appreciated.
    This is really the only issue I have with ISPconfig3.
    Thanks

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  10. till

It should work as in your example. But as your original setup work, you should just keep it.

11. syadnom

syadnom New Member

thanks

Thanks for the help. :)

12. A1200

A1200 New Member

Just a point to note, to get canonical or virtual addresses working in postfix with a simple @domain.com points to @domain.co.uk is a real pain in the bottom. The best guide I found was:

http://www.sysdesign.ca/guides/postfix_virtual.html

But this still relies on pointing to a USER. Not fun when there are 10s or 100s of mailboxes needing mapping. Canonical mapping didn't seem to work, despite reading lots of documentation on it (a nice howto like the link above wouldn't go a-miss).

I only use ISPConfig for web/db hosting but one client couldn't connect to my hMailserver host, and they just happened to have tons of mailboxes (lucky me). As soon as a way can be implemented to get ISPConfig using virtual email domains, I think it would be well used by many.

13. till

ISPConfig 3 uses virtual email domains. You mix iup ispconfig 2 and 3.

14. A1200

A1200 New Member

15. AndiStern

AndiStern New Member

are there any objections to using

table = ( select source, destination, server_id, active from mail_forwarding where type in ('forward', 'alias') union select concat(substring_index(u.source,_utf8'@',1),a.source) as source, u.destination as destination, u.server_id as serverid, u.active as active from mail_forwarding a JOIN mail_forwarding u where (a.destination = substr(u.source,(locate(_utf8'@',u.source) )) and a.type = 'aliasdomain' and u.type in ('forward', 'alias') and a.active = 'y' and a.server_id = 1) union select concat(substring_index(u.email,_utf8'@',1),a.source) as source, u.email as destination, u.server_id as serverid, case u.disabledeliver when 'y' then 'n' else 'y' end as active from mail_forwarding a JOIN mail_user u where (a.destination = substr(u.email,(locate(_utf8'@',u.email) )) and type = 'aliasdomain' and a.active = 'y' and a.server_id = 1)) mail_domain_alias_2300

( one single line ) in mysql-virtual_forwardings.cf ?

16. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

This thread is over 10 years old.
    Current version of ISPConfig does have mail domain alias.

17. AndiStern

AndiStern New Member

Hi Taleman, glad you replied, configuring an E-Mail Domain Alias solved my problem ( using of course V 3.1.15p3 )...