PHP editor and debuger...

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by nenad, Sep 3, 2006.

1. nenad

nenad ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I am trying to find most usable PHP editor and debuger.

Any advice?

Falko, which tools are you using for writing PHP scripts (I hoope that is not secret :) ).

BTW nusphere phped is equiped with so-called "remote debuger" ?
    http://www.nusphere.com/flash_files/remote-dbg.html

I downloaded their trial, but I can't make it work.

Anyway, is there any way that I can acess some specific website (on remote server) WITHOUTH using it's name (www.website.com) but it's IP ? (something like http://192.168.0.1/www/web1/index.php ?

I am running ISPConfig of course on my remote server...

If not, what could be best "all in one " package for PHP writing & debuging (with mysql support)?

2. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Well I prefer Zend, well its not free but works fine, it also has a debugger which I actually don't use, only the onlinecoding syntax checker...
    missing features are code folding for control structures (if-elseif-else..) and no block edit...

What do you mean by package? Something like these bundled apache with php and mysql?

3. nenad

Yes, it's necessery for debuger to run properly if someone ise developing PHP+MySQL application.

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

I use WinSCP and EditPlus... WinSCP for remotely editing and EditPlus as actual editor...

5. nenad

Right now I am using FileZilla + UltraEdit, but I need more powerfull tool, especially with interated php debuger, because I am involved in project where I must use other people scripts (often withouth documentation) I fix bugs in those scripts.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I'm using a simple text editor, nothing else... :)

7. bryxal

bryxal New Member

Using the ZDE (zend) with profiling makes finding slow parts of a script a piece of cake, you can easily see where your slowing down and the debugger is real nice too, easy ftp and csv integration and code completion make it perfect for me.

8. nenad

9. Ben

For sure... just use your hosts file (e.g. WinXP notepad \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) just enter the IP you desire and the hostname for it... but you should restart yoru programms accessing those dns names...some have no problem if you change the hostfile while they are open, some have like mozilla firefox.

10. nenad

yes, that can be used but only if there is real domain name, and if there is a real webserver, so that I can put domain name in hosts file.

I don't need that. I need acess throuh IP (shared), if there is no real (registered) domain name, or if it isn't still propagated through DNS servers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know how to explain this, but throuh example.

Two years ago I was doing a lot of job for one sweeden webhosting company.
    We were using DirectAdmin as server control panel.
    We had a kind of "path" to acess website just after creation of domain, before it even propagate (delegate) through DNS servers. It was something alike: http://200.200.200.200/~/www/public_html/web/www.name-of-domain.com
    where 200.200.200.200 was real IP (shared) of webserver.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  11. asterix

asterix New Member

I'm not sure how the setup worked at your job, but using the hosts file is a good idea.

When I develop sites remotely for other people, I create an apache virtualhost, say:

Code:
    <VirtualHost *>
       ServerName "whatevercompany.com"

DocumentRoot /home/www/coding-minions/public_html/

</VirtualHost>

... on the remote server. On my local XP machine, I add the line:

Code:
    w.x.y.z   whatevercompany.com
    ... to %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Now when I enter "whatevercompany.com" into my browser, the request is sent to w.x.y.z (my remote server's IP address) with "whatevercompany.com" in the HTTP request's host field (that way Apache will pick it up and look for an appropriate <VirtualHost>).

This approach lets you choose your own domainname for development, even if the real domain is not registered. Even if the real domain is registered, you could override it locally using the hosts file (e.g., using "google.com" instead of "whatever.com" in the above example will make "google.com" point to your server).

For a PHP editor, I just use Notepad++: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net

Good luck!

12. Ben

If it is not registered in DNS, take the hosts file. If you want to access any vhost IP is no solution, you will always end up on the "default" vhost.
    So also here enter the vhosts dns-name in the hosts and the ip you wish. that's all.

13. nenad

And that works with ISPConfig and shared IP environment too ?

14. Ben

The hots thing?
    That has nothing to do with any server it is just a client thing on influencing the DNS resolver.
    That's how some fishing / hijacking stuff worked, that the hosts file was manipulated so that google.com e.g. was redirected to a completely other page (and that's why you can scan / protect your hosts file with adware etc...)