Best way to migrate a master server to a new server

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by fm41, Dec 4, 2019.

1. fm41

fm41 New Member

Hi, first post, I hope it's not too dumb :)

I've got a multiserver system, consisting of one master and two slaves. I'd like to migrate the old master to a new server and leave the slaves mostly untouched. I don't want to simply copy the master, as the new server has a slightly different configuration (Debian 10 instead of 9, a few different packages, as the old master has a lot of unnecessary stuff on it).

I have bought the license for the migration toolkit already and it is working but it is not migrating the source server as part (master) of a multiserver install and I only have the "local" users and websites in my new ISPConfig, not the remote stuff I use the slave servers for.

Is there any way to do this kind of migration with the migration tool? I know of the ISPCopy tool, but I don't want to use the same setup, I have a completely different new Master, new Hostname, new IPs.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you have a new master server plus new slave servers and want to migrate the master and the slaves, then you can do that with the migration tool, jsut run the tool on the master and then on each slave to migrate all 3 servers. If you want to migrate the master only while keeping the slaves attached, or in other words, migrate the master 'as it is', then you have to use ISPCopy instead.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Migration tool works also if your new setup consist only of one server. You can migrate the old master and two slaves to the one target server. Migration tool does not require the number of servers in Source and Target are the same.

4. fm41

fm41 New Member

Hi Till, thanks for your reply.
    I understand that it is not possible to migrate the master using the migration tool but not change the slaves. Is there any other way to do this? Maybe use the migration tool to migrate the data on the master server, then copy relevant parts of the masters dbispconfig and change the master settings in the slaves databases?
    I would like to have a fresh start with the new master.

Apart from that: I clearly run a multiserver setup, but the migration tool tells me, it's a single server setup. Is that because it's the master?

Thanks Taleman,
    I want to leave the "old" slaves as slaves and not migrate them to new servers or the master itself. But good to know.

5. till

The tool do do this is ISPCopy, it is part of the Migration Toolkit that you own already, take a look inside the file you downloaded, there are two programs inside, the migration tool and ispcopy, ispcopy is the tool that needs to be used in your case as you can not use the Migration Tool when you want to keep the existing slave servers.

1) Disable the root cronjobs from ispconfig on the slaves.
    2) Move the master over to the new server using ispcopy program.
    3) Run an update of ispconfig on the slaves with reconfigure permissions on master database and enter the new master server details.

6. fm41

fm41 New Member

Okay, thanks Till!
    I'll try to use the ISPCopy Tool and hope it will work with different OS versions and slightly different configurations, as far as I understand it should be possible to fix hostnames and IPs afterwards manually and rerun the upgrade script to reconfigure the services as needed on the new server.

7. till

You should run an ispconfig update on the master too with reconfigure services = yes, this should fix most of the OS version differences.

8. fm41

fm41 New Member

Hi Till,
    that's what I meant, yes. It seems to have worked well, I had to change some configs and get new certs, but now ISPConfig is running again.

Thank you for the tool, it works well, just a side note:
    isp_copy works with PHP version up to 7.2, but not 7.3, which is default on Buster. So you have to install 7.2 and reconfigure alternatives to get it working. Maybe it's possible to update this to be compatible with 7.3 or at least make a note, that it is not (or tell the user in the error message)?

9. till

Thanks for the note, I'll check that. Probably just a missing ioncube loader.

10. fm41

fm41 New Member

Hi, nothing happened since December and I just had to use isp_copy again and ran into the same problem.

The quick and dirty fix is to add php version 7.3 to the legacy version 7.1:
    if [[ "$PHPVERSION" == "7.2" || "$PHPVERSION" == "7.3" ]] ; then
    LEGACY="/v71" ;