Perfect server with two hard drives

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rodrigosarri, Jul 12, 2020.

1. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

Hello, I looked for a "perfect server" tutorial with debian 10 (apache, mysql, php ...) being installed on a server with two hard drives being the configuration of the hard drives:

Primary SSD RAID-10 Disk80 GB SSD RAID10
    Secondary SATA RAID-10 Disk300 GB SATA RAID10

I don't know what is best to archive on the SSD and the other HDD when it comes to servers, can someone help me?

Thank you very much for any help!

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Personally I am using my 250gb ssd as main and 500gb hdd as its backup, mainly as the former read and write speed is faster and more reliable if compared to the later. My browsers now always says my websites are among the fastest due to this (and 32gb ram of course).

3. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

That's what I'm thinking of doing, however, I don't know how to develop an installation using Debian and two hard drives.

In this tutorial I find the installation of Debian 10, however, I need to understand how to organize the backup files or other files that may be on a mechanical hard disk to be on the second hard disk.

https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-10-buster-apache-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-1/

Maybe if someone can complement the tutorial with this information it will be enough for me.

Thank you again

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The installation does not differ if you have one or two hard drives, so there are no changes necessary in comparison to the guide. If the 80GB sad had is large enough for your websites, email and databases, then mount the ssd as / during Debian installation. The other had can then e.g. be mounted as /var/backup

rodrigosarri likes this.
  5. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

Thanks for the answer, but I don't understand anything about server installation and although your answer seems to be a simple process, I don't know how to do it, the process, which command or how to mount the backup on another hard drive. Could you leave the command here or how should I ride please? Thank you!

6. till

Is there a Debian 10 base system installed on that server already?

7. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

Yes, a basic debian 10 system is already installed. Thank you.

8. till

Ok, and the installation uses the SSD as / partition?

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If you do not mind installing Debian 10 again, you can during the installation mount disk partitions the way you want. Mount SSD as root "/" partition and the rotating disk somewhere else, for example /var/backup.
    If you need to use the already installed system, you need to show what is mounted where now, and what disks are available to get advice on how to proceed.
    Code:
    df -hT
    fdisk -l

10. rodrigosarri

rodrigosarri Member

11. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If you got the host with Debian 10 already installed, the rotating disk surely is already installed somewhere? What are you planning to do if you do not reinstall? You can change the mount point of the disks, but that is about all.

12. patopattone

patopattone New Member

If you are planning to reinstall debian You just need to specify that during partition process; for example if you are going to use SATA disk for storing mails and the partition in that disk is /dev/sdb1 you need to mount it on /var/vmail; here is a detailed guide on how to do it:
    But if you are not planing on reinstall debian you could change mount ponts in /etc/fstab to archieve this: