Doubt What IP to use on the server?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jjc, Aug 2, 2020.

1. jjc

jjc New Member

I have installed ISPCONFIG to the letter: The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic Beaver). I managed to install everything. But I have a doubt, I have used the IP 192.168.0.15 on the server where I installed ISPCONFIG. When I try to access 192.168.0.15:8080 from somewhere else it doesn't give me anything. Do I have to use the public IP listed at ip.sch.my on my server? or what should I do to be able to access the ISPCONFIG panel from anywhere in the world.
    Thanks, I'm a little new to this and I'm just testing ISPCONFIG :).

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can port forward traffic arriving at you router/firewall to that internal IP address.
    As you have discovered, 192.168.0.15 is among the IP addressess declared in RFC 1918 that are ment to use in intranets, and are not routable in the world wide Internet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding
    Another possibility, which probably involves changing your net work setup, is to use routable IP address on that ISPConfig host, i.e. connect it directly to the Internet.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Yes.

4. jjc

jjc New Member

Thank you very much for the information, in my case my public IP is 201.160.220.129; the netmask would be 255.255.255.0? the network would be 201.160.220.0? the broadcast would be 201.160.220.255? and the gateway would be 201.160.220.1 ?. I'm not sure if that would be the correct setting.

5. ahrasis

Is this a vps or home server? What are you trying to do?

6. jjc

jjc New Member

A vps, where I can have multiple hosting accounts

7. ahrasis

If so, you can simply use the public ip straight forward.