How to configure ISPConfig 3.1 with IPV6?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Stanislav Panayotov, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Stanislav Panayotov

Stanislav Panayotov New Member

Hello,
    Today I install new cool version of ISPConfig - ISPConfig 3.1 on my Debian 8 stable. From ISPConfig 3.1 I go to System / Server Config. I use both IPV4 and IPV6 on my hosting server, but there is only IPV4 settings. There is field named "IP Address" but it working only with IPV4 address. There is not fields named "IP V6 Address" and "IP V6 Gateway", there is only field named "IPv6 Prefix". Please, tell me how to set properly my Debian with ISPConfig 3.1?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The IPv6 addresses are configured in the /etc/network/interfaces file on Debian, you don't have to add them in ISPConfig under System > Server config.

3. Stanislav Panayotov

Thanks, but when I reconfigure my server via ISPConfig all IPV6 settings in /etc/network/interfaces are cleared.

4. RalphGL

RalphGL New Member

I have the same problem. The complete settings in /etc/network/interfaces in section "iface eth0 inet6 static" are removed each time i reconfigure ISPConfig. In ISPConfig (3.1.2) the setting for "IPv6 Prefix" is empty - is that correct?

5. Stanislav Panayotov

Yes, it's a total wrong. There are no any fields for IPv6: IP, netmask, Gateway, DNS. If your server is working only with IPv6 - with current version of ISPConfig (3.1.2) is not possibility to set any right IPv6 settings.

6. RalphGL

RalphGL New Member

Ok, so i configure it manually. The problem is: the IPv6 entries will be removed (Debian Jessie). As i read here: https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/issues/4295
    Till suppose to deactivate the Network configuration checkbox under System > Server config.
    I will do so. But IMHO the IPv6 entries should not been removed (on a debian stable-system) even if the network configuration is activated in ispconfig. This is a workaround. I don´t understand why Till think it is "not a bug" - maybe IPv6 in ISPConfig is just a "not feature". ;)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. till

IPv6 addresses get added under System > Server IP. Click on "Add new IP address", enter the IP address in the IP field, select IPv6 as type and press save.

8. till

You can do that as well if you prefer that over automatic configuration. But then you should not enable the checkbox for automatic network configuration under System > server config as this checkbox instructs ispconfig to remove all manually made changes from the network config files.

9. RalphGL

RalphGL New Member

Thanks Till. But it looks like a bug for me. On my system the IPv6 address is added under System > Server IP. But if the network configuration checkbox under System > Server config is activated all IPv6 entries in /etc/network/interfaces will be removed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  10. till

As soon as you enable the network configuration checkbox then you tell ISPConfig to remove all manually made settings from that file and that's exactly what happened.

If you want to do manual changes in a config file that is managed by ispconfig then always the same procedure applies:

1) Copy the config file template that you want to alter from /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/ to /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/. In your case, the file is debian_network_interfaces.master
    2) Do your manual edits the the file that is on the conf-custom folder

RalphGL likes this.
  11. RalphGL

RalphGL New Member

I tried to add IPv6-Addresses with ISP-Config on my new debian 10 server, but there are no entries added in /etc/network/interfaces.d/50-cloud-init.cfg or elsewhere. Does it have to be done manually? I thought I can first activate > serverconfiguration > server, add the IPv6-prefix there to config the network with ISPConfig instead manually. Then I added the IPv6-addresses in IPSConfig, but they are still not configured. Whats wrong?

12. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My understanding is that the host OS is configured with the IP-addresses first, so that they work and routing etc is in place. Then in ISPConfig panel ISPConfig is told about those addresses so ISPConfig knows to use them.
    If you only configure IP address in ISPConfig panel, the OS does not know how to use that IP.

13. RalphGL

RalphGL New Member

Hm, but ispconfig is modyfiing the /etc/network/interfaces file if you enable the network configuration checkbox - as Till wrote above.

14. till

You dug out a quite old thread here. The network config option is disabled in all recent ispconfig versions for good reasons it will not work anymore in current Linux distributions that use systems and therefore have network device names like ens33 or similar. I don't recommend to activate it, your server might become inaccessible when you do that.