subdomain created as separate site links to main domains letsencrypt cert

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Axel Huizinga, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Axel Huizinga

Axel Huizinga New Member

Apparently I created my subdomain which needs an own documentroot somehow wrong: the configured certs are just symlinks to the certs of the main domain:
    /var/www/clients/client1/web14/ssl/times.bi4.me-le.crt -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/bi4.me/fullchain.pem
    how do I correctly create a subdomain with nginx to achieve what I need here?
    Best,Axel

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Enable then use subdomain with vhost. Or you can also create subdomain as a website.

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can create subdomain.example.com in the websites tab.

boman.de likes this.
  4. Th0m

I saw the reply of @ahrasis after refresh :)

I would recommend the second option.

5. Axel Huizinga

Axel Huizinga New Member

create subdomain as a website is how I did it - how can I try : Enable then use subdomain with vhost ?

6. Th0m

Check System -> Main Config -> Create subdomains as web site

But I would not do this for just one site.

7. Axel Huizinga

Axel Huizinga New Member

why not? - anyway thanks to all - it works well this way now

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Less secure and you or your customers can more easily mess up sites by nesting the document roots. I've seen users killing life sites by sharing parts of the doc root with a staging site, then the deleted the staging site or messed up a git commit and killed the life site by that. Or other users had a blog subdomain with a insecure setup and shared that with their shop site, which allowed an attacked of the blog to steal credit card data from the shop.

ahrasis and Th0m like this.