Invalid format of DKIM record.

Discussion in 'General' started by aminbaik, Oct 29, 2020.

1. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

Hello,
    i add an email for domain.com and then enable dkim
    i copy the value to as txt to my cloud flare
    TXT:
    Name: default._domainkey
    value:
    v=DKIM1; t=s; p=code....
    when i use gmail mx checker its give me:
    i am using version 3.2
    any suggest ?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Assuming the DKIM is correctly formed, and you have copied the public part of the key to name service of that domain: maybe you have not copied it correctly?
    Create in name service a TXT record for default._domainkey.domain.com. (where domain.com is your domain) remembering the dot character in the end. Then the text or value of that record is the long string starting with v=DKIM1; . Check the long string is not cut in the end.
    The E-mail tutorial linked to in my signature shows how to check the DKIM entry in name service.

3. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

Hello,
    in cloud flare when i put default._domainkey.domain.com. its return to default._domainkey
    when i check on google mx checker it's give me same message:
    DKIM technology is used to help detection of unauthorized mailthat pretends to be sent out from your domain.
    v=DKIM1;t=s;p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDAf/NiN7...
    any suggest ?

4. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

just a guess: maybe the record (txt-entry) is to long?

5. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

6. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

7. Taleman

Have you compared the DKIM entries created by ISPConfig and dkim-wizard? In what way are the different?
    I still suspect you cut the end of the string away when copying to name service.

8. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

i didnt ,
    v=DKIM1; t=s; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQChxje7BiAw61bKiI0n7N9xBzQHZj9ABhMcKpzoWk6NEUnlk/7va+ZMMBSm82wopWLyrtnkKtwkTka8bQ/j2Dqh3JVVkvMx+9Ra2Yv+p3xh2FADVncytwNy4Z2eZT2zCcD2yT8yeEqSEi6kmDx8""WxyeV7FmmLI7oxNUp/rYzZ/yIQIDAQAB
    i check https://www.dmarcanalyzer.com/
    and its give me:
    Error : We detected that your key in the DKIM record is invalid.

9. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

10. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

the problem as i check it could be because there is "" and / in the p ! any suggest ?

11. Taleman

That looks mangled. There should be space character betwen the two " " and the string should end with ";
    Have you compared the DKIM entries created by ISPConfig and dkim-wizard? In what way are the different?

12. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

i tried with
    v=DKIM1; t=s; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQChxje7BiAw61bKiI0n7N
    9xBzQHZj9ABhMcKpzoWk6NEUnlk/7va+ZMMBSm82wopWLyrtnkKtwkTka8bQ/j2Dqh3JVVkvMx
    +9Ra2Yv+p3xh2FADVncytwNy4Z2eZT2zCcD2yT8yeEqSEi6kmDx8""WxyeV7FmmLI7oxNUp/rY
    zZ/yIQIDAQAB";

"v=DKIM1; t=s; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQChxje7BiAw61bKiI0n7N
    zZ/yIQIDAQAB";

v=DKIM1; t=s; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQChxje7BiAw61bKiI0n7N
    zZ/yIQIDAQAB;

same problem always !

13. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

are you adding the trailing ; on the end of every attempt? maybe it doesn't like that, or expects more data after that.
    also, not sure about the cloudflare interface, but the bind zone file expects a space between the split pieces of code.

eg the ispconfig record:
    Code:
    v=DKIM1; t=s; p=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

the zone file record:
    Code:
    "v=DKIM1; t=s; p=MIICIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAg8AMIICCgKCAgEAxMoq2n5P4xL9VtSJtrAdqvJAJsufv+vkakRv9Pf4QbWyDhoKhHbBHUDBBg0QNRq+IepO1sP4cIg1sX2MxTaZCsqzogz7GBy4Gn8AlYVp8AnZpl4ICThxhNt+KK9h382OOkAKNTEOGeKKhn/R9r+eBPokXq4Ha4IsVeex4hQ11mxwUanRXyKTvKYCcu0kD1xCwDt" "6JYan8P3vws6ecu66iOzEEXh0K6PhnEc81dTjTDueLlsmIWHFY1stXHcOpLUdIe84ETjMm9Gv19MwEH+4EjKivV8D4iHG9WotazPEVjQIcY2rMIhP7wT+aUd2/s4ZkkxtvIRhANxa6Amemg9/JkZGDEzcqGexoMf9izHn10G4m6ZqouQEyGTmaEjsrgKIA8w/n15p9WOhbhPD0HOfkuaY+sUiTGOAhfZEX5TPshfYzl1wjAK4n/+IvCs9fmIYHb" "r71DCWJGOH5xcuIjnU3lD8MvZqv0fqDAtELVfsAprZRrSm+bRZh+nOVw3l5A+qbFcTUldUXWtmeUDkCQR4K8UV0XyDl3RFSEl+AWApjC4zEG4lOCqaQ7Hws/aN9KprQFhpwZJP8YUYSIyz/G8IlzMiSSAt3WXOIYgObwaWh/PS5DrGdBapftI6i6Sz7UrkS1iC9Z67rVLkyNbNN4gBMQd9JP1yTEl0OpzYlNdZpfcCAwEAAQ=="

so from your last post with 3 examples, i'd try the middle one again, putting a space between the two " " and leaving out the final ;

or the whole thing, without any quotes or breaks in the code at all, and again leaving out the trailing ; after the code.

14. aminbaik

aminbaik New Member

thanks its working :)

15. ArnOS

ArnOS New Member

I have the same problem in generating the new keys. The DNS record generated from ISPConfig contains quotation marks (which shouldn't be there?). The same record without quotation marks is valid in - for example - Gmail MX Checker or https://dkimcore.org/c/keycheck. Shouldn't this be marked as a bug?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  16. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

quotation marks in ispconfig or in the zone file?

it's not a bug. if you're using strong records, eg 4096 bits, then the record is split into separate strings, in quotes, separated by a blank space.
    for shorter records, in one single string, it's normally unquoted in the ispconfig interface, and is always quoted in the bind zone file.

ArnOS likes this.
  17. ArnOS

ArnOS New Member

Ah okay, I see now. So it is safe to remove the quotation marks? Seems like it...

18. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It depends what you're doing with it. If you're pasting the string into a zone file, you need them; if you're pasting into a web interface at your registrar, you may or may not, it depends how they process it. If it doesn't work with the quotes, try without (and you'll probably need ot concatenate all the separate strings into one).

19. zyzzza

zyzzza Member HowtoForge Supporter

To anyone who will find this reply - its 2023 , and the problem (which is not problem) is still there. Dear ISPConfig DEVs, maybe you could solve it by simply adding second txt field, where corrected line with proper spaces and quotes would be ? So admin can just copy paste the value into TXT value . (My junior admin setup 120 domains and emails during the move, and all with failing DKIMs because of this issue :( ).

20. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've added an issue on the topic here now: https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/6454

zyzzza likes this.