Screen Resolution Problem

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by BillDougy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. BillDougy

BillDougy New Member

When I try to adjust the resolution on my desktop i dont get a regular resolution change in anything above 800x600 or what ever that one is...i get a desktop where you cant see everything... you have to move the mouse to the edge of the screen to see the rest of the desktop area..... i am running mandriva 2006 free with an ati radeon 9250 with a gateway 21" flat screen LCD.... is there anyway i can get a higher resolution with out having to move around to see all of the screen?.... by the way i am a linux noob so go easy on me....

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It seems as if your graphics card isn't fully supported by your distribution. Maybe ATI has Linux drivers for your card...

3. BillDougy

BillDougy New Member

i figured it out... i had to reinstall linux but it got fixed now the only problem is that most of the time i boot up it tries to start x but it goes to a black screen and locks up.... the only way i can get it to work every now and again is to go to linux-non-fb not sure what that is but it works.... any ideas how to fix that....

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

It seems the other kernels don't support your graphics card. I'd simply go on using linux-non-fb. :)

5. shec0002

shec0002 New Member